Guest’s asking to bring additional visitors

Answered!

Guest’s asking to bring additional visitors

Hi everyone,

Hope all is well!  I have been doing airbnb since January of this year in Brooklyn NY and so far not bad. 

I’ve been having alot of guests asks me if they can have company and I genuinely do not mind at all.  Some of them have game nights, watching football games or just hanging in my backyard, as many as 10 people sometimes, but the reservation is normally for 2.  The additional visitors do leave when it’s time but my question to you guys:

When the amount of people is so many should I tell the person booking there is an additional fee since so many people will be there & if so what price?

or should I tell them because it’s so many people they will need to put a $500 deposit down & they will get it back at the end of their stay? 

Lastly,  what are some rules suggestions I can give to my guests who are having company please? 

I appreciate any help I can get with this because this is an ongoing question that I always say yes too but now I feel that I should be compensated for it.  Thanks in advance.  

1 Best Answer

@Merlberg-And-Jamaal0 

You are a very patient and accommodating host. That is a lot of people, and the potential for issues/impact depending on the nature of your neighborhood.

We do not permit our guests to have visitors, for a number of reasons:

One is that our business insurance policy does not allow them, another is that our business license/permit doesn't allow them either. You might check to make sure you are within these regulations with your insurance and your permit.

A visitor could perhaps suffer an injury on your property which could put you in a potentially vulnerable position. Your business insurance policy should state your coverage, your agent could clarify.

Another couple of things to make sure of is if any neighbors are potentially disturbed by the gatherings, and are there issues around parking. What are your quiet hours?

Some legal advice might be wise, as when there is money involved, legal relationships change. In NY this could be different than in another state, city, county. Unpaid visitors of paying guests might be a legal or i

Your idea for compensation is a good one, but please do this safely, with clear information and advice around insurance and legal issues - to protect yourself and your home - likely your most valuable asset - from any potential issues. 

Best wishes and happy hosting!

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5

@Merlberg-And-Jamaal0 

You are a very patient and accommodating host. That is a lot of people, and the potential for issues/impact depending on the nature of your neighborhood.

We do not permit our guests to have visitors, for a number of reasons:

One is that our business insurance policy does not allow them, another is that our business license/permit doesn't allow them either. You might check to make sure you are within these regulations with your insurance and your permit.

A visitor could perhaps suffer an injury on your property which could put you in a potentially vulnerable position. Your business insurance policy should state your coverage, your agent could clarify.

Another couple of things to make sure of is if any neighbors are potentially disturbed by the gatherings, and are there issues around parking. What are your quiet hours?

Some legal advice might be wise, as when there is money involved, legal relationships change. In NY this could be different than in another state, city, county. Unpaid visitors of paying guests might be a legal or i

Your idea for compensation is a good one, but please do this safely, with clear information and advice around insurance and legal issues - to protect yourself and your home - likely your most valuable asset - from any potential issues. 

Best wishes and happy hosting!

@Merlberg-And-Jamaal0 

My keyboard has been acting up lately, thank you for your patience. The incomplete sentence should read:

"Unpaid visitors of paying guests might be a legal or insurance concern."

Thank you for your response.  I do have quiet hours and cameras everywhere outside and so far there haven’t been any guests that has given issues.  As far as parking I make it clear that they can’t park in my driveway because 1 of my neighbors may have an issue because our lot is so close together.  

I do have quiet hours which they have all respected thus far.  I also do have to talk to my insurance company asap! Thank you for that reminder. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

You are new, have a nice place and things are going well. Perfect.

It is a 1-bedroom place already allowing 4 people to stay (I would make it 2, but that is another story) and on top of that to allow more people to 'visit' is perhaps is a risk not worth taking.

Perhaps allow visitors with firm parameters.. The risk however of something going wrong when too many people get together is a reality, and entering into a deposit arrangement could really complicate matters further. You stand to gain nothing from the whole exercise.

May be best to proceed with caution.

What do you mean by allow visitors with firm parameters please?  

So you are saying taking a deposit may not be the best idea correct?  Thank you for taking the time to respond.