Host Request Cash after Booking

Answered!
Daniel10507
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

Host Request Cash after Booking

Hi there,

I just received a message from my host confirming all the check-in details. At the end of his message he says there will be a cleaning fee paid in cash of $120 Euro + Tourist Tax of $3 Euro a night pp.

I'm familiar with tourist tax and this seems reasonable (correct me if I'm wrong), however, there was no mention of this fee in the original booking (I've reviewed the listing several times).

I pride myself on being a great guest but would like to politely decline his request, however, worried he will cancel my reservation.

I contacted AirBnB to confirm a host can't request cash and if there is an additional fee it should have been stated in the listing / included in the total  booking price.

Any advice? 

Thank you,

1 Best Answer
Helen56
Level 10
San Diego, CA

@Daniel10507 @Fred13 You are correct that hosts should never request cash, all money must go through airbnb's website.  If you don't pay and he complains he knows you can mention this in the review; future guests will know and probably not book, Airbnb will know and could remove his listing.  He probably won't cancel because there are huge penalties for hosts who cancel.

You are in a very strong position if you don't pay him the cash requested.  If he locks you out of the place you can call airbnb and they tend to side with the guest.

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Definitely should have been listed before the fact, not after. Way out of line.

There is a lot of reasons why a host wouldn't want to flippantly cancel a reservation, especially over a fee that he knows darn well he is trying to sneak in at the end. He is not going to cancel.

The fact remains he is being very slick and such a move if divulge in a review would proof a death knell for his future bookings.

@Fred13 I agree except the host is not being slick they are being stupid. As you say they will lose future bookings and/or be removed from the platform.

Actually trying to be slick, because they are stupid.

Helen56
Level 10
San Diego, CA

@Daniel10507 @Fred13 You are correct that hosts should never request cash, all money must go through airbnb's website.  If you don't pay and he complains he knows you can mention this in the review; future guests will know and probably not book, Airbnb will know and could remove his listing.  He probably won't cancel because there are huge penalties for hosts who cancel.

You are in a very strong position if you don't pay him the cash requested.  If he locks you out of the place you can call airbnb and they tend to side with the guest.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Daniel10507 if other places are available I would ask Airbnb  to cancel your reservation and swap you to another place. This host's cleaning fee is unacceptable and breaks two Airbnb rules (cash and not mentioned). Research Aircover and then quote it at Airbnb.

The tourist tax could easily have changed since the booking was made and is, I think, allowed by Airbnb.

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Daniel10507 

For the most part, Hosts shouldn't collect payments or fees outside of Airbnb.  There are a small amount of circumstances where there may be exceptions.

I wanted to share this article about paying outside of Airbnb.  You might also find this one helpful too.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines