How can I verify the second guest for safety and security?

Answered!
Simon3615
Level 2
South Fremantle, Australia

How can I verify the second guest for safety and security?

Hi

I had a terrible experience on airbnb some months ago. I am back trying airbnb again. My situation was a girl booked the room, said she had her boyfriend coming with her.  But they had only just met as they were travelling.  She had good reviews, but I had no idea who this person was and airbnb had no verification on him.  Note, I live in the house also with my two dogs and its a shared kitchen, living and bathroom.  So security is important to me, as I could have a lot of stuff stolen, and I am sleeping here. They both turned up and he was a really slob, super messy, kitchen would explode after he used it and he left skiddies all over the toilet after use.  I nicely asked them they need to clean up after themselves while here as per the house rules.  But then as I asked that the couple got messier and messier, and the guy then brought out hunting knifes into the kitchen and said he loves to kill things.... it was freaky.  I contacted airbnb security and they asked them to leave immediately.  If I had the second person id and verified I would have felt safer, but apart from kicking them out had no recourse. 

I am conscious now when I have a room avail, that up to 2 guests can stay in the room, but I can only see the one person booking it.  How are hosts verifying the second guest in a nice way, to have some security and piece of mind.  I have heard stories on airbnb, that prostitutes bring over "second guests" night after night, and no way to verify.  And also that the person you see verified brings a complete stranger into the house that they only just met themselves.

At the moment I am asking who the second person is, their full name and ID, as I have no verification from Airbnb.  Any ideas why Airbnb are not security conscious on this issue?

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

No you can't specify anything that is seen to be discriminatory @Simon3615 

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Simon3615 So sorry for this awful and scary experience.

There are three things you can do going forward:

1.  In your listing, state that all guests must have an account through airbnb and no one can enter your rental without his/her own review.  

2. Since this is a shared rental, you can state in your listing “females or males only.” You do not have to host males. 

3.  You can list ONE maximum guest. 

Good luck to you. 

Simon3615
Level 2

Hi @Gwen386 

when i try ask for the second persons ID i am getting verbally abused by the first guest saying its a breach of their security

airbnb needs to do more to protect the host. I am appalled by their oversight in this regard

its risking peoples safety for no upside

@Simon3615 We host are responsible for our own safety and security. We are responsible for who can and cannot stay  at our property. 

And on another note. A guest who verbally abuses a host is a BLINKING NEON WARNING that they wouldn’t step foot across my threshold. Just do NOT approve the guest’s stay. 

Again, update your listing that all guest must be approved. And be diligent that “no means no.”

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry @Gwen386  point 2 is incorrect . Only female homeshare hosts can specify that they will host only female travellers 

Simon3615
Level 2

I think you can specify what you want in your description

at the moment i specify must be id verified all people and over 25 years of age

Ultimately its the hosts house not airbnb. Airbnb are the platform and they take a cut, but they have no risk if something goes wrong so the host needs to take care of themselves without a doubt

guests come and go/ 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

No you can't specify anything that is seen to be discriminatory @Simon3615 

Thanks @Helen3   My mistake; I thought this was a homeshare. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It is @Gwen386 but I'm presuming @Simon3615  is a man 😀

only female hosts in houseshares can specify they will let to females only . 

@Helen3 Is this true? I thought any gender host could specify same-gender guests in a home share. See below

• Airbnb hosts may:
    • Make a unit available to guests of the host’s gender and not the other, where the host shares living spaces with the guest.

cc @Simon3615 @Gwen386 

SORRY - I get what Helen was saying - A male host cannot specify only female guests.

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello everyone,

While reading the conversation, I wanted to share this article from the Airbnb Help Center about: Can I choose to only host people of my own gender?

According to our Nondiscrimination Policy, you may make a listing available to only guests of your gender when you share living spaces with them (for example, bathroom, kitchen, or common areas).

All the best,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad