How to select guests

How to select guests

We donot have the instant accept on. Since we are new to hosting, we would like to choose. What are the best ways to screen as we cannot see the guest picture until confirmed. In many cases, I have noticed only email and phone are verified (1 verification) and no reviews by other hosts. Plus they are new to AirBNG. We are declining these reservations as we are not comfortable. Please share some thoughts on how to securely screen and increase the occupancy rate.

Thanks.

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Many requests you will receive from guests are those new to Airbnb (just like you are new to the platform yourselves).

Personally I only accept guests with photo ID, and have vetting questions I ask such as who is travelling with you, purpose of your stay and why did the guest choose my space, check in time etc.

I am not bothered about seeing a guests photo before they book.

Danielle476
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

I don't mind new guests, provided they've uploaded a form of government ID.  I also 'charge' $400 for a security deposit - I say 'charge' because AirBNB doesn't actually place a hold on their card, they only retain the information in case hosts make a claim after the guest has checked out.  Most guests (and some hosts) don't know this, however.  YMMV as some here will tell you that government ID's "do nothing" and insist on meeting your guest(s) in person to collect their ID as they check in.  (Not possible for remote hosts like me.)  It gives me peace of mind because someone who books with an ID and a security deposit might think twice about damaging my home, versus someone who booked with an e-mail address they made yesterday and no other information whatsoever.

Reviews are somewhat helpful but plenty of hosts don't do their due diligence either; they give one-size-fits-all reviews to their guests without any helpful information (or choose not to write one at all.)

Good luck!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mvp0  I have accepted plenty of guests with only a phone number and email and they all ended up being charming guests. I look at their profile write-up, and their past reviews first (some guests don't have any) and then I communicate with them. You can tell a lot from the way someone communicates as to what kind of guest they will be, although it's not foolproof. Thank the guest for their interest in your place, ask any questions you have, make sure they have throroughly read all your listing info, reiterate any important points you need them to be aware of. 

If it is an Inquiry, you don't need to decline those- just messaging back within 24 hours is all that's required. If you feel okay about the guest after messaging with them, go ahead and pre-approve the Inquiry.

If it's a Booking Request (different from an Inquiry) you do need to either Accept or Decline within 24 hours, but you can still message with the guest before the clock runs out.

Continuing to decline inquiries and requests will result in Airbnb sending you warning messages and possibly closing your listing. It also affects your Acceptance rate, which if it falls below the target %, will lead to delisting.

I suggest you use the search engine here to find posts on "Red Flags" which will lead you to threads alerting you to what to watch out for in your vetting procedures.