How to turn split stay off?

Answered!
Ben4581
Level 7
West Hollywood, CA

How to turn split stay off?

I don't want to book a split stay. I want to book a stay in one place.

There is no option to turn this "feature" off. It is not a feature to me, it is a bug that needs to be removed. If I want to book multiple consecutive stays, i can just do that on my own. This so called "feature" is making the site impossible to properly use and navigate.

I will just stop using airbnb if they don't add the option to turn it off.

1 Best Answer
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Matthias401,

IMO, the split feature doesn't work as it was originally advertised which was to offer guests choices to stay in two disparate spaces within a specific geographical location to get richer experience of the destination.  I've seen recommendations for two spaces that are next door to each other or located in different countries or islands.  For example, St. Lucia and Martinique are just 22 nautical miles apart, and both have a French colonial, but there is not governmental connection nowadays.  Many people think all islands in the Caribbean are part of the same country like the Bahamas or the Philippines, but Martinique is a French overseas territory and has different entry requirements for travelers than St. Lucia (still a member of the British Commonwealth).  Just imagine how guests may feel when they've booked a recommended split holiday, and find that they can't travel to one of the destinations, because they thought they were visiting the same country only to find out that a visa and health travel insurance is required for one location.

View Best Answer in original post

72 Replies 72
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

I'm impressed you found the option @Ben4581.  Are you seeing only split stays when you search?  I just did a search for Savannah and I actually want to split the stay with Hilton Head, but no split stays appeared.  How do you find them?

Split stays just show up if they are available and usually only for longer stays. The split stays are preconfigured and usually pretty close together. I don't know the length of the stay. I do find them annoying because I don't want to do that. It would be a great feature if it was filterable. 

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Ben4581

Split stays are currently surfaced automatically, and I am not aware of a way to turn them off. I've however passed on your comments and suggestion about this to the team, thank you!

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Yes, please turn it off. Make it an option. Not only do they show up, they block other homes and I keep clicking on them. For the LOVE, make it stop. And since this is from May, I'm guessing like all other online business, airbnb makes this an option for the people with the property to sign up. So they don't REALLY care about the people with the money. 

Just like everyone else, they just don't care. 

So I'm booking on VRBO. Same house, less trouble. 

@N50 wrote:

I'm guessing like all other online business, airbnb makes this an option for the people with the property to sign up.

Nope. I'm a host. There was no opt-in or opt-out for it. Most hosts don't like the way it's implemented either.

Albert2294
Level 1
Clovelly, Australia

@Emilie I was also interested in how to turn them off, especially since they pollute my map search. I filtered e.g. by price e.g. "$500" and split stays come up for the same period of time for up to "$1000". That is not helpful. If they would at least honor the "$500" filter over the full period, they might be somewhat helpful.

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Albert2294 Thank you for sharing some insights as to why you'd like to be able to turn this feature off! As I mentioned previously, there isn't a way do so at the moment but I will relay your suggestion to the product team. 🙂

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Emilie 

It was my understanding from what was communicated here on the CC after the Summer Release roll out that split stays would only appear when there were no options available for an entire stay. Is that not the case?

Otherwise, this feature only makes sense if it's an optional feature that the guest selects. 

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Huma0 This is the exact info I have on how split stays are triggered: 

When searching for a stay with dates of a week or more, split stays automatically appear at the end of your search results in the All listings category if there are less than 300 listings that meet your search criteria.

I understand that some would prefer it as an optional feature though, and I've shared that with the team. 🙂

Emilie

-----

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Emilie 

Thanks for the information. Yes, I now remember reading that before. However, if they are coming up at the end of the 300 or less results, why are they 'polluting the map' as @Albert2294 mentioned? 

When I do any kind of search using the map view, only a handful of listings come up on the map (you have to zoom in and out or move around the map to see others), so the split stays shouldn't really be appearing when other listings aren't.

Add me to the list who wants split stays as an option I can turn on and off.

Emilie,

What's the status on this? 

This is directly affecting hosts by preventing guests to book.  Everyone is losing in this situation.  No one wants this... it's not that "some would prefer it as an optional feature", it's "Most would prefer it as an optional feature".

"Prefer" is too weak of a word.  MOST travellers do not want to pack up and change locations in the middle of a trip.  It adds HOURS to a search sometimes, and is BEYOND FRUSTRATING for likely ALL regular users.  Why not have a radio button to toggle on or off called "Show Split Stays"?  You can't possibly be this oblivious. Companies that think they are the only game in town and can ignore their customers.... eventually find out they are not FOREVER the only game in town.  It won't happen immediately but by attrition over time. 

Apparently, that is not true. I get both split and total time stays. It makes the search a little more cumbersome but at least they are well-identified with the icon.