Including Pest Control Services in Listing

Answered!
Stacey415
Level 1
Delaware, OH

Including Pest Control Services in Listing

We have a cabin in a wooded area that we will now be having routine pest control services for following a guest complaint. While the setting makes this a common issue, we want to protect our property as best we can (from nature and anything guests may bring). I did not see anything to click on the listing to indicate that pest service is offered.
If you were to list this as an included service so guests felt comfortable renting a pest free space, where would you include this in the listing?

If you have a wooded cabin rental, do you mention that nature may find it’s way indoors?

We refunded the night requested by this current guest and are hoping this is an isolated incident. Any thoughts and ideas are welcome!

1 Best Answer

@Stacey415 

Ah, Mother Nature! She is complicated! This is a very good question and important topic to bring up.

I'd suggest that you say what pesticides you use under the section of other things that guests should know. For many people, pesticides are much more of a problem than the occasional insect or spider. I'd think it really important to let prospective guests know - in several locations in your listing - that you use such a professional service, how often, and what chemicals they apply. Some may appreciate that you do this pest control, others may not. It would seem to me an important disclosure, especially if you allow pets or children. We personally would need to avoid any housing that used pesticides, and would need to know what they are, how often applied as the ultimate deciding factor in their potential toxicity to humans. 

About our own listing, since you asked: 

We are very upfront about coexisting with Mother Nature. Our guests come here for being in a natural setting, to experience and appreciate wilderness, for birding, nature study and hikes. We are up front in our listing and followup communications about large and small wildlife, poison oak, ticks, etc. Spiders are relocated gently from the guest suite to our personal living spaces. Our 180 forested acres and popular garden tour gardens are free from pesticides and poisons of every kind, but do include many naturally toxic plants, plus our large cactus garden.  Spiders, lizards and birds take care of any mosquitoes that could bother us, opossums eat ticks, foxes, snakes and bobcats eat the ubiquitous field mice. We recommend that folks with insect/spider phobias choose a motel in town where nature does not encroach. When we managed a wilderness resort we did the same thing. 

We are, of course, meticulous about surgically cleaning the guest suite, and doing a last minute check for spiders and such - but we leave the forest ecosystem to regulate itself. 

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Stacey415  I would include the information in my credenza guest book or lightly referenced in my welcome email.  

You may be able to put it somewhere in your listing description, but I would be very brief and not go into detail beyond a simple statement -- "Local flora and fauna may be found on the property; Pest control services are scheduled monthly." -- should suffice.

This is a wonderful recommendation.  Thank you for taking the time to reply!

@Stacey415 

Ah, Mother Nature! She is complicated! This is a very good question and important topic to bring up.

I'd suggest that you say what pesticides you use under the section of other things that guests should know. For many people, pesticides are much more of a problem than the occasional insect or spider. I'd think it really important to let prospective guests know - in several locations in your listing - that you use such a professional service, how often, and what chemicals they apply. Some may appreciate that you do this pest control, others may not. It would seem to me an important disclosure, especially if you allow pets or children. We personally would need to avoid any housing that used pesticides, and would need to know what they are, how often applied as the ultimate deciding factor in their potential toxicity to humans. 

About our own listing, since you asked: 

We are very upfront about coexisting with Mother Nature. Our guests come here for being in a natural setting, to experience and appreciate wilderness, for birding, nature study and hikes. We are up front in our listing and followup communications about large and small wildlife, poison oak, ticks, etc. Spiders are relocated gently from the guest suite to our personal living spaces. Our 180 forested acres and popular garden tour gardens are free from pesticides and poisons of every kind, but do include many naturally toxic plants, plus our large cactus garden.  Spiders, lizards and birds take care of any mosquitoes that could bother us, opossums eat ticks, foxes, snakes and bobcats eat the ubiquitous field mice. We recommend that folks with insect/spider phobias choose a motel in town where nature does not encroach. When we managed a wilderness resort we did the same thing. 

We are, of course, meticulous about surgically cleaning the guest suite, and doing a last minute check for spiders and such - but we leave the forest ecosystem to regulate itself. 

This is very helpful and valuable information! Thank you so much for taking the time to give such a thoughtful reply!