Irresponsibility of super host

Irresponsibility of super host

Having finally gotten through all the various requests from air bnb - photos, ids etc., we were accepted to rent to the point of also having to give our credit card information.  Thereafter, we very quickly received a response from the so-called super hostess Cindy that she did not accept anyone who did not have an air bnb "history", i.e. we were first-timers and she was not having us.

Having spent God knows how many hours on-line doing my best to provide all the information requested, I was less than happy with this response and did respond that this should be clearly shown on her rental page, i.e.  I DO NOT ACCEPT BOOKINGS FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE NO AIR BNB HISTORY.  It would not be difficult to do.

Having been retired for more than several years, we do wonder what the heck she might have suspected us of....

Since then, I have made repeated requests to be entirely REMOVED from air bnb air space.  To date this request has not been honoured as I am still greeted as Hi Vivienne....  As far as I am concerned, this is not kosher.  I DO NOT WANT air bnb to have any information about myself since they are certainly not friends of mind.

What to do?  Would love some input.

6 Replies 6

This is a PERFECT example -- a photograph that I hadn't even realized had been accepted - is still on file with air bnb.  Have printed - to show to our lawyer tomorrow.

This is disgusting stuff.  I have requested four or five times to have absolutely everything regarding myself DELETED from your files.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

1. You are not speaking to Airbnb we are a community of hosts and guests

2. I have already given you a link on how you can delete your profile @Vivienne83 . Airbnb will not delete it for you.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

There are two different issues here @Vivienne83 

1. What you need to do to set up a profile on Airbnb ie giving payment details, providing ID

2. And what you need to do to be accepted for a booking. Each host has their own house rules. It sounds like you sent a booking request or inquiry to a host that doesn't accept first time guests. I agree she should have made it clear up front on her booking if this is the case. (did you double check her house rules before booking??)

It's really simply to remove yourself from Airbnb you simply go into your profile and delete it.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/240

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Vivienne83 

As @Helen3 mentioned, there are two different issues here.

Being asked for ID verification etc. is normal. Surely, if you were a host, you would want to know who is going to be staying in your property? And credit card details... Obviously, Airbnb wants to know you can pay before you make a booking and block out a listing's calendar. Although I am sure you are a legitimate guest, there are a lot of scammers out there, so hosts have to be careful... And guests who are reluctant to provide this info or answer questions raise red flags.

As for the host not accepting first time guests, well, that is not something that I would do. I have had many first timers and most have been brilliant. However, I know that a lot of hosts don't accept them and that it's not unusual at all. Yes, it would have helped if the host had specified that upfront on their listing but, again, many don't. The thing is, if you want to book an airbnb, you have to provide payment details anyway (and usually some form of ID verification), so regardless of whether you could book with this particular host or not, you still need to do it. Is there any particular reason why you didn't then go on to book with someone else? Was this the only listing you were interested in?

Also, have you tried to delete your profile, as per the info @Helen3 provided?

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Ah, you stumbled on a host that happens not to want to host people without past reviews; many are hesitant to accept 'first timers' since they have nothing to go on except the applicant is who they said they were. Fortunately, there are a few other hosts (like 1,000,000+) to choose from. This particular host however, doesn't represent any other host nor really Airbnb. 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @Vivienne83 ,

I am really sorry that you had to go through such an experience. As @Helen3 has mentioned below, did you try out her advice and check if it is doing what you intend to do with your profile? Here : https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/240

We're happy to announce the Month of Celebration!

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines