Listing Not Visible

Daniel85
Level 2
Gulfport, FL

Listing Not Visible

This is March 26,  Our listing is booked through the end of June.  That's great, but unfortunately I have learned that when visitors to the site search for listings in our town without specifying dates, our listing does not show up because it is not available until July 1.  I am quite sure that many people with flexible dates, or who are just curious about what is available here, do not put in dates when they search.  But we are currently being shut out of the listings for those viewers.  I don't know when our listing will again show up for these viewers, but I don't see why it's necessary to only show listings that are available in the next few weeks.  Why not show all of them?

10 Replies 10
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hey @Daniel85 ,

Since it has been a while, were you able to get more information on this? Reaching out to other members @Mike-And-Jane0 @Frances3408 @Joelle43 if they can give you any advise on this.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hi there.  No I have received no replies from Airbnb or other hosts yet. Thanks for your help!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

The reality as CS explained to you is that Airbnb prioritises hosts in the rankings with earlier availability. 

As you are full until June it's unlikely that Airbnb will put your listing high up in its rankings. It's purpose is to convert as many guests as possible to bookings. Promoting listings that aren't available won't help them to achieve this.

As it gets closer to the dates you have open you will move higher up the rankings. Those looking for properties like yours later in the year will still see your listing when the search for later dates.

The majority of guests will put in dates when searching so this is not too much of a hinderance for you in terms of your listing being visible.

Remember don't just rely on one marketing channel @Daniel85  there are other platforms you can use along with direct bookings.

I do understand without availability until July that our listing would not come up early in the listings for our town.  My point is that it does not come up at all!  And I have talked to several people that do not put in dates for their search as they want to "browse" all that is available in our area.  Those people are being misled by not being able to find our listing.

@Daniel85. So its not showing up even if you search via map and zoom into your location? In our small town there is a listing showing (no dates search) next available first week of August so I cant see why it isnt working for yours.

I'd be contacting Superhost support as sometimes it can disappear and then reappear. We've also just gone through SH assessments. I notice some hosts deliberately put one week available during the quarter but as you are fully booked I dont understand, sorry.

Let us know how you get on.

Hi there.  No, without putting in any dates, the listing does not show up in lists or on the map, even if I zoom into our specific location.  Frustrating.  I did speak to Superhost support about this and he said that is just how the search algorithm is programmed.  I suggested that they need to relook at that as I see no reason to not have our listing show up for searchers that don't plug in dates.  It's kind of a "Well, that's just the way it is." answer.  I would love someone from Airbnb tell me why they can't or won't change it.  Thanks for your response.

Lala89
Level 3
Houston, TX

Hi @Daniel85 - were there any special strategies you applied to get booked out through June? 

I am struggling with getting April filled and May is not booked at all. Here is my listing - https://airbnb.com/h/okto

Hi @Lala89 - listings under $100 a night are going to get booked up faster, especially in the current economy.  Be patient.  2023's booking patterns are strange, but hang in there and wait for the good well-planned bookings with thoughtful guests who will want to return and tell others about your place.  

Thanks for the encouragement @Ann72 !

Hi @Lala89  We have guests that return each year for January, and February, and March-April.  For May it will be occupied by family, and for June will be occupied by friends.  So no special strategy.  Your listing looks great!