Listing suspended over false accusation

Answered!

Listing suspended over false accusation

Hi fellow hosts. I'd like to share my experience with other hosts and Superhosts. I had my listing suspended for 10 days over a false claim from one of our guests. They accused me of having security cameras and recording devices inside my apartment when, in fact, it's clearly stated in my listing that we have security cameras outside the house, and an Echo Dot for our guests' convenience to turn ON/OFF lights, adjust the temperature, etc. This has always been stated in the "House Manual" and "Things Guest Should Know" sections of my listing.
I tried to get in touch with Airbnb since the first day, almost every day, and was never able to talk to the agent assigned to my case. When I finally spoke with the (second) agent handling my case, after 10 days, telling him that Airbnb should have contacted me and talk to me first, before suspending my listing, he said that that is the Airbnb policy when they receive a claim of privacy violations. My listing wasn't visible for 10 days, and I lost bookings and earnings because of this. I, very highly, suggest Airbnb to change this policy and try to get in touch with the host, before suspending their listings for claims/accusations from a guest. We, hosts and Superhosts, are giving work and money to Airbnb every week, and we should get a "preferred line of communication" and respect, compared to an occasional guest who decides to accuse an honest host!

1 Best Answer

Hi Katerina, sorry you’re going through this! 
No, they reactivated it after I spoke with the supervisor in charge of my case and explaining the situation. 

View Best Answer in original post

76 Replies 76

Can you share the supervisor’s name?

Wayne162
Level 2
Victoria, Canada

I am having a problem like this. Airbnb suspended all of my listing because a guest complained. This guest stayed after check-out, violated no-smoking, too many guests, there were missing items and damaged items, and a huge mess. Airbnb closed the guest's account. But because I made an Aircover claim the guest retaliated that I had violated their "privacy" when I required them to leave. Airbnb then suspended all of my listings without any warning or notice. When I looked into our contract with Airbnb I found under Terms of Service s.2.3 I had the right to make the guests leave in any manner consistent with law. And under s.13.3 Airbnb had no right to suspend my account when there was no violation or any rule. The suspension breached Airbnb's own terms of service and this is not what I have been used to from Airbnb. I can see from this thread that this is not the first time this has happened to someone. I believe the problem is the Trust and Safety Department is unable to look at things in context and hasn’t noticed that the Airbnb Terms of Service apply to them the same as everybody else. Their response to me is that they followed “standard procedure”. If their "standard procedure" is disregard other people’s rights, break Airbnb’s own rules, and treat Superhosts like sht, then this is a problem. Short of writing a letter to Brian Chesky I am not sure how to deal with an Airbnb department that thinks it is above the law. Any thoughts, anyone?

@Wayne162 All I do is highlight to @Catherine-Powell when a superhost is suspended in the hope that she will try to sort out the Trust and Safety department.

There will, no doubt, be bad hosts who deserve to be suspended but the standard procedure appears to be suspend first, investigate (slowly) later.

Perhaps taking context into account is too risky from a liability point of view. 

Can you please help? I need to get in touch with someone at a higher level. Facing an unfair situation with a guest who retaliated after breaking a window and leaving blood on the walls and duvet cover. 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Wayne162 ,

I understand how frustrating this must have been for you. And also Airbnb has several processes in place regarding such situations.

Although the team would reach out to you once they have reviewed your case, please know that I have also raised this to the Airbnb Team to know if they have any updates for you.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

G19
Level 2
Byron Bay, Australia

I am in an identical situation , i feel utterly violated by the guest and competely disrgarded by Air B and B - its hopeless

Artur60
Level 3
Victoria, Canada

I am experiencing a similar situation currently. 

Artur60
Level 3
Victoria, Canada

I am experiencing similar situation it is a slow process and there was no evidence presented to me. It has made us pretty weary about how easy someone can just file a complaint about a camera especially after they had a great report and everything was positive.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hey @Artur60 ,

Since it has been a while, are there any updates? 

As there are multiple processes to follow for the internal teams as well, they are likely to get back to you as soon as they reach a resolution. Do let us know how it is going for you.

-----

There are no updates just a message from the agent that she is going away for 3 days. It’s now been 6 days. We requested to speak with a supervisor or another agent to try and get this resolved as soon as possible. These kinds of delays affect our operations in a very negative way.

There was no evidence presented to us, they claimed that a burnt out outlet was a camera inside my home. Police should be involved when there is such suspicion and if they did this would of be cleared up instead the past guests file a report. We think this is targeted.

These types of accusations are not taken lightly as it damages our reputation and Airbnb. I want the community to know how easy it is for Airbnb to take your properties down and have hardly and recourse or options to resolve the issue. 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hey @Artur60 ,

I understand how frustrating the process is for you.

I have also reached out to the relevant team from my side for updates and if they can reach out to you a bit sooner. Hope this gets resolved for you!

-----

Thank you, 

We really feel that Airbnb is on the side of guests in general it doesn’t bode well for us policies need to change like mandatory Police involvement and police report. 

Thank you,

Account has been reinstated after 7 days. 

it was a false accusation. Fellow hosts do not list on one platform in case of this. If you rely on income from these properties I would caution against listing on one platform. 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Artur60 ,

Thanks for taking some time to come back and update us. Really glad to hear!

-----