Listing with pre existing long term tenant

Addam7
Level 1
Running Springs, CA

Listing with pre existing long term tenant

Hello I am from socal(california). I am via a signed contract,  renting a room and shared common space  (i.e kitchen bathrooms living area) my landlord wants to start hosting on airbnb and wants to include my room as part of the abnb. Making me leave the house and find living situations during the guests stay. What's the regulations for that. If there is any? 

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Addam7 If you were in the UK then your notice period would be the payment period (ie weekly or monthly). What does your contract say?

@Addam7 , unfortunately this is not an Airbnb issue but a tenant - landlord issue. You have a signed rental contract and your landlord is wanting to break the contract so that he can turn his rental property into a STR, correct? In the state of California, there are numerous laws put in place to protect tenants, some might say tenants have more rights than the landlord/property owners. You should have no difficulty finding a housing advocate organization that deal with landlord/tenant issues and have dealt with these issues. Reach out to one and familiarize yourself with your rights as a tenant. 

Bottom line is figuring out if you want to stay in a place where the landlord wants you out or finding another place where you can live.

Best of luck!

@Addam7 

As the others have said, this is a tenants rights issue.  @Ana2038  and @Mike-And-Jane0  have offered you excellent advice. Get some legal help, right away. Your landlord may intend to set up an un-permitted short term rental, which local laws may not allow in your zoning. Your city or county is the governing body for that. Regardless, you need to make sure your living arrangement is protected under whatever rental  agreement you have with the owner. Best of luck with this. You may have more legal rights than you know.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Also a consideration is whether you want to stay in a place that now you will be sharing with other renters, if that will change the living situation. Personally, I never stay where I am not welcomed (regardless of rights), because if anything it tends to 'spoil' it for me.