Long term Tenants in same house as Airbnb

Answered!
Taija2
Level 2
Campbell River, Canada

Long term Tenants in same house as Airbnb

Hi there! I am wondering what the rules are when it comes to what is required on the AirBnb listing in Canada BC. I was a long term tenant (currently in the process of having to move as my landlord is moving into my suite) and there is a long term tenant downstairs in a basement suite. The house consists of three units. My unit, my landlords unit (which he turned into an air bnb) and the downstairs basement suite. No where on the listing does it mention that there are long term tenants on the property. The down stairs lady and I have ran into a few guests who get very confused that there are other guests in the same house. Is it up to the hosts discretion to add that information into the listing or is it illegal to with hold that information from guests? It would be nice for the people who are looking at booking to know that this listing is not the whole house. (It’s listed as a house) looking at the listing that is online here at Airbnb it really sounds like you get your complete privacy which is not the case… I share a hallway with them and I also use the backyard often. This is what the description says. “

About this space
Enjoy a stylish experience at this centrally located private suite. Wake up with your morning coffee on the front deck as you watch the sun rise, go for a walk along the sea walk that’s located across the street, into down town or head south into willow point. Soak in the hot tub to unwind at the end of your day & sip on a glass of vino as the cruise ships pass by!
Guest access
Hot Tub is a 2022 Salt Water Arctic Spa that’s professionally maintained regularly.
Hot Tub use is shared with owners, however privacy is honoured while you enjoy!” 

I also use the hottub and so does the lady from downstairs. The communication we have got from our landlord on this Airbnb is minimal… I didn’t even know the air bnb was listed until someone came and stayed. My landlord not once told me he was getting ready for an Airbnb while he did his renovations. He also didn’t notify me of renovations happening..

so with all that being said. What are the rules around Airbnb’s in the same house as long term tenants? Shouldn’t these guests know about that? 
1 Best Answer

@Taija2. Is your suite self contained? ie own kitchen, lounge as well as bathroom?

Unless his listing says you get the entire house he is probably within the ABNB rules, however I think if thats the entire description then the host is being dishonest imo. Most shared space hosts would have this information in either the title or the very first line description. There are also areas to note that spaces are shared.

Future ABNB guests may be disappointed once they find out the sharing aspect; some may even cancel. Airbnb is full of share houses, some do it better than others. VRBO via Stayz for example, does not permit shared houses.

Also, check with your rental authorities to see if you have any rights such as quiet enjoyment which depending on the extent of the renovations, may have interrupted. They may also be able to tell you whether his arrangement and his notifications to you are legal or not.

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Taija2 as long as the shared spaces are properly defined and each property  has its own front door is this any different to an apartment block with shared garden space?

It’s a very odd floor plan. But simple put yes it’s kind of like an apartment. The problem the other tenants and I are experiencing is the guests being extremely confused that there are other people on the property. It is listed as “entire house” so it seems almost misleading.. I’ve had guests try and open my door thinking it was apart of the air bnb (luckily my door was locked) should this not be mentioned in the description of the listing? 

@Taija2 we list our apartments as entire places and have never had any issues even though they are all in the same building.

I’m glad you guys have had no issues. This building is a home/house. Not an apartment building so I think that’s the confusing and issue we are seeing with the guests. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why don't you speak to your landlord .

it's not right the landlord hasn't made it clear which the STR property is (in your situation I would consider putting up a notice on your door saying this is not the airbnb rental) 

If his long term tenants share the hot tub and garden area with Airbnb guests then he should mention this in his listing as from what you've said he just said it's with him.

and he should have told you he was setting it up as an STR rental

@Mike-And-Jane0  your situation is different as you don't have LTR tenants and STR guests sharing facilities such as gardens do you ? 

@Taija2. Is your suite self contained? ie own kitchen, lounge as well as bathroom?

Unless his listing says you get the entire house he is probably within the ABNB rules, however I think if thats the entire description then the host is being dishonest imo. Most shared space hosts would have this information in either the title or the very first line description. There are also areas to note that spaces are shared.

Future ABNB guests may be disappointed once they find out the sharing aspect; some may even cancel. Airbnb is full of share houses, some do it better than others. VRBO via Stayz for example, does not permit shared houses.

Also, check with your rental authorities to see if you have any rights such as quiet enjoyment which depending on the extent of the renovations, may have interrupted. They may also be able to tell you whether his arrangement and his notifications to you are legal or not.