Minimum stay loophole - Feedback to Airbnb

Chris11794
Level 1
Hoboken, NJ

Minimum stay loophole - Feedback to Airbnb

Based on a potential guest submission today and then speaking with Airbnb Customer Service, I learned that Availability settings by the Host do not apply if the guest submits for a stay prior to the effective dates of the requirement. This creates a false exception with the potential guest that their dates can be supported. A host forced to decline, creating a poor experience for the potential guest & host. This discourages bookings and listing through Airbnb.

Example: The setting for my listing is a 7-day minimum stay during the summer season, 6/19/20 - 8/28/20. This pre-paid request was submitted for 6/17/20-6/22/20. Of course, I can decline and/or see if other dates can work for them within the requirements, but I see an opportunity for a more productive use of the requirement & better experience for all involved.

Solution: If any portion of a submission falls within a requirement, that requirement must be met to proceed.

I'm interested in any feedback on how to avoid this or if feedback from other hosts is the way to influence a system edit by Airbnb. I submitted this feedback today. Thanks.

2 Replies 2
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Chris11794 I dealt with the same situation with my listing for 2 years. I only booked from Saturday to Saturday for full weeks for July and August, and I ran into the same issue with Airbnb. The only way you can stop it from happening is by blocking the date before your minimum requirement begins (in your case, you would need to block June 18th on the calendar, at least until July 19th is booked). Absolutely ridiculous and potentially costs both you and Airbnb bookings, but there is no other recourse at this point.

I also complained, and they just told me "that's the way the system works."

Thanks for sharing your experience and potential work-around. Hopefully, enough hosts/guests will share this feedback with Airbnb to influence a change for everyone's benefit.