My Listing Is Gone, HELP!

Stacy318
Level 2
Plantation, FL

My Listing Is Gone, HELP!

Hi all. I am a Superhost and Guest Favorite for two years. I am very frustrated and worried and I hope someone in this forum can help.. I have a cabin in Ellijay, Georgia that I rent out to couples only. It’s a bit of a niche, but it has worked. I have not received an inquiry nor a booking since early March. I have searched for my listing both on a desktop and on mobile (multiple computers and phones) and not finding the listing at all on mobile. I am barely finding the listing on my desktop so I opened a case and have been trying to work with the folks at Support but getting nowhere. They are showing me screenshots of my listing, but when I have searched myself in an incognito window using their criteria and logged out of my account, it is nowhere to be found. Additionally, I have had people all over the country search my listing on their phones and computers and nothing comes up for my town. My last hope is to find someone who can troubleshoot this effectively and let me know what is happening. My listing is fine, and there are no technical issues, except the fact that it is not showing up! Thank you.

9 Replies 9
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I can see it @Stacy318 

Are you able to show me a screenshot? Was this on mobile? I am not finding it at all on mobile and either are the people I've asked to search. Thank you!

Hi @Stacy318 

It does appear to me there is something wrong with the search algorithm for Ellijay, GA. When doing a search on a laptop for 2 guests in Ellijay for a 2night stay, the first search result page is almost all properties in Blue Ridge, GA? Not Ellijay. There was one property that appeared for Ellijay and it was a New Listing (Ruby's Retreat). All the other "bubbles" were for Blue Ridge to the North and East of Ellijay. I would imagine other Hosts in Ellijay might be experiencing the same issue you are, as the algorithm shows Blue Ridge, GA properties when searching for Ellijay?

Joan2709_0-1714744815787.png

Below is the main landing page when searching for Ellijay, GA. You can see most of the bubbles are for Blue Ridge, GA to the North and East of Ellijay? The lone bubble ($120) for Ellijay is a New Listing (Ruby's Retreat)? The only filter used was "House." I searched for for a 2-night stay using 2 guests:

Joan2709_0-1714746710478.png

I had to zoom way in to find your property on the map view. You might want to bring this up in your discussions with Airbnb regarding the search algorithm results for Ellijay. Here is how far I had to zoom in to see your listing and other properties in Ellijay:

Joan2709_0-1714746320260.png

While you are working on this issue with Airbnb, I would try to change up a bunch of things on your listing to see if that does anything? Photos, description, etc. I find it curious that only the New Listing (Ruby's Retreat) is appearing in searches for Ellijay on the main landing page map view? 🤔

Let us know what happens here, as other Hosts in Ellijay, GA are probably experiencing the same issues as you are. 

I have noticed the same thing and complained to airbnb continuously about the fact that I am searching for ELLIJAY and surrounding towns come up in results BEFORE listings in the search criteria. Of course, I get no answer from them. I am in a group online for Ellijay STRs in our neighborhood and everyone seems to be getting bookings except for me. I'm going to lower my nightly price to see if it jolts the algorithm. Other than that, I am not sure what to do.

Hi @Stacy318 

You might try using a Custom Promotion to lower your price instead of just lowering it manually. This will give you more "eyes" on the listing as Airbnb seems to give priority to listings (rank them higher in search results) that use their Custom Promotions. You will get 4 benefits by using at least 20% discount. I like that you can also see how many views your get for each promotion:

Create Custom Promotion

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2982

Joan2709_0-1714752969380.png

Joan2709_1-1714753022742.jpeg

You might have to list on another platform as well (if not already doing so), as Airbnb many not change the search algorithm and this issue has already happened with many other listings on Airbnb. Not having "all your eggs in one basket" as it were.

Thank you! I will try that and also I am tweaking my cover photo. I am finding the listing on my desktop now, but like you said, I have to click on Ellijay on the map or it will show everywhere else. I'm in an incognito window and finding my listing on page 6. That still doesn't explain not finding it on mobile, but I will do what you suggest and check later. I am also listed on VRBO. We have a ton of saturation of STRs in Ellijay now, so competition is high. Since I only choose to rent to couples, that dilutes my audience even further but I have been doing fine for the last couple of years. Not seeing my listing in search is a new thing. 

@Stacy318,

With all the current 'glitches' occurring right now the last thing I would trust is an automated promotion!

Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

It may be because of a number of factors. Empty calendar/low bookings, low conversion rate (i'm guessing), high price comparatively for the number of beds/amenities (don't have data to confirm but this is likely), recent low reviews (4* is low review to the algorithm).

The algorithm is such that it doesn't limit itself to what you are typing in. It will aggressively expand the radius, and if neighboring listings are that much more competitive than yours, then it can place those listings above local ones. 

Zheng49_2-1714769063136.png

Zheng49_0-1714768399267.png

That single 4* review is that much more destructive because you don't have any 5* reviews that are more recent to hide it/lower its influence. After you get a couple of 5* reviews to hide it completely, its negative effect will wane. 

Zheng49_1-1714768635479.png

This is from one of my listings. That recent 4* review's negative influence is lower because there are some more recent 5* reviews to weaken its damage. Still, you can feel the effect it has on the algorithm, however mute. 

Zheng49_0-1714769450564.png

A perfect 5* overall review score likely helps a lot. 

I appreciate your incite. Unfortunately, some people do not leave 5 star reviews even if the accommodation deserves it. I never got anything lower than a five until recently. Our area is very saturated with STRs and because I only rent to a party of 2, that could also be a factor. I just updated my cover photo again and lowered my nightly price and it seems to be showing up again. I am hoping it sticks and I can get some long overdue bookings!