My neighbors' AirBNB is party central!

Kirsten327
Level 2
Chadds Ford, PA

My neighbors' AirBNB is party central!

Hi, all. I'm so frustrated. I live in a rural area of Pennsylvania on a 10-acre farm. We moved here to enjoy the peace and quiet, but since our neighbors opened up their house as an AirBNB, I can't be in my yard on weekends.

The house is a whole-house rental and the owners are miles away. They advertise that it sleeps 16, and the features include a "games barn" with air hockey, foosball, darts, and "festive lighting"; outdoor fire pit; pergola with two outdoor dining tables; cornhole and other lawn games; and an amplified sound system. 

I've attempted on numerous occasions to have a conversation with the homeowners. They hide behind their private assistant, who does all the booking. 

We've recorded several periods where the noise is well above township decibel levels. Last night I even called the cops. 

Honestly, the people renting (at $900/night!) are just doing what the place is advertised for: having multi-family gatherings (the house sleeps 16) with food/alcohol/music and lots of yelling when they are playing in the barn and outdoors. It's the owners' fault for setting this place up to be a party zone. 

I've logged complaints with the owners' assistant, AirBNB, and the police. I have an email in to our Township manager to see what they can do. Is there any hope of shutting this place down?

7 Replies 7
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kirsten327 yes you will probably succeed in shutting the place down.

Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

Did you contact the support as described here: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/3290 ?

This will be handled with high priority.

Hiya. Yes, thanks. I sure did. I logged each day or evening of partying as separate complaints. 

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Kisten327 when is a party not a party ?Airbnb specifically bans parties . Your local council and the police are responsible for noise violations . Locically you cannot shut down your neighbours parties as only being yourself a neighbour . Airbnb will speak to the host about parties if you put in a complaint but you are not actually in charge of the property . Thats all you can do . ... H

@Kirsten327. Sorry to hear this. I would like to think Airbnb will shut them down (so keep onto them and see if other neighbours also have an issue) but I think its a good idea that you get familiar with your local laws re short term rentals in case someone else nearby decides to run party central in a  rural setting.

It would appear your state is more interested in collecting the revenue than having clear STR laws so you need to follow up with your local authorities.

I found this link which I'm hoping may help https://www.hostaway.com/airbnb-rules-in-pennsylvania/

Good luck.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

This touches an area that I just brought up with Airbnb in a recent zoom meeting with them, my thought being that: Every listing should go through an initial 'common-sense check' for potential problems for Airbnb and its other responsible hosts.

If a listing advertising a few beds, but the number of guests allowed defies logic,  it shouldn't be allowed to be listed and forced to change before even be accepted by Airbnb in the first place. With this particular property the owners being absentee and in combination of permitting 16 people is, in all likelihood, a perfect candidate for the 'perfect storm' you are encountering. This particular property borders more on an open 'festival' than anything else.

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Kirsten327 

Really sorry to hear about the neighbourhood disturbances you've been having.

I have passed details about everything you've mentioned to the relevant team, explaining you've logged each incident, and I've also mentioned that the party ban put in place by Airbnb isn't being adhered to.

Someone should reach out to you once they've looked into this.

Thanks to @Fred13@Frances3408@Helen744 and @Till-and-Jutta0 for pitching in with some advice.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines