My simple suggestions to improve communication between Hosts and Airbnb

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

My simple suggestions to improve communication between Hosts and Airbnb

All of us who have been here for a while know that support by Airbnb for hosts is utterly lacking. Donna Boyer, the new product director At Airbnb said in the recent Q/A from 6/19, "We know it can be hard to reach our Customer Experience team. We're committed to building systems to make it easier for hosts to reach us, including making our phone number and messaging easier for everyone to find. "

That tells me that nothing is going to change anytime soon. It is just a verbatim repeat of exactly what Brian Chesky said in his host letter the week before.

I think there is way too much "building systems" instead of straightforward simplicity. In line withnthat, the Q/A with Donna inspired the following idea:

1. Have someone from the Airbnb product team be here in the forums at all time, to simply observe the cross section of daily questions and comments coming in and thus realize what is really of concern to hosts across the board. (That's a paid job for one or two people - heck, I'd be happy to fill that slot! ;
  2. Have that person select one or two pertinent issues or questions daily and take them back to a designated and qualified higher up at Airbnb for review AND answering.
  3. Have that designated liaison person from the Airbnb product team answer one or two such questions daily, with details and specific information, not a general "feel good" kinda thing- then post it back here. This should happen within one day, not put into a folder, like "we'll look into it"...no, have your answer ready asap. Make it part of the daily routine, nurture that connection. As long as there would be substantive answers forthcoming, I bet it would be very popular AND dramatically lessen the anxieties around here but create good will!
  4. This idea (or any other one from any other host) is really not that difficult to implement - it just takes a commitment from Airbnb to sincerely want to improve communication. (Like how difficult would it be to simply post the phone number, instead of building systems about it??)
  5. It's time for Airbnb to recognize what a gold mine of information they have available right here in the forums, as newbies as well as experienced hosts come here to post their concerns and grievances. It clearly crystalizes the ongoing problems/issues from the hosts's perspective - not from an Airbnb techie's perspective to try out yet another new thing.
  6. Please nobody tell me to repost this in "Host Voice", that that would have a better chance of getting heard: That is precisely part of the ineffective "system building". If Airbnb wants to hear hosts, they would come here. Simple....
  7. I sure hope Airbnb will continue to thrive and not follow Uber's example of how a great start up company gets bogged down and riddled with internal problems. We hosts are the back bone of the company, I enjoy hosting, and I am grateful to the company for giving me the opportunity. I just want them to be the best they can be!
39 Replies 39
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Awww, @Annette33.  I was looking forward to suggesting you post your idea in Host Voice...LOL

haha, @Linda108 ! that's just part of the usual run around we get. I totally get it that a global company can't concern itself with every tiny inconsequential hick-up or miscontent from some host out there, but they need to be careful not to lose their purpose and focus. Too much constant re-organizing and changing the image, yet acting like they want to focus on "community" but not doing it, it all points towards way too much "system building". So that is where going back to some basics would be a good thing! 

PS: I really liked your question in the Donna Boyer Q/A 🙂

SPEND the MONEY!!

Airbnb is making millions. There is no excuse for not havin better Customer Service response.

AGREED!!!  Upper management doesn't care...and, when they do...it will be too late for them!  Hosts should go on srike?

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Annette33

I believe that, the Community Managers in some way, does what you have said in item 1. I belive that, when they see some questions or debates that are of great concern to hosts, they may select  it to be analysed by the Airbnb staff that works with the help center. If the subjects has to do with ideas to improve the system (even if it is discussed out of the host voice sector), I believe they sent the topic to be read by the right staff. 

Honestly speaking, I do not believe that the help system should be better than it is now because many user tends to be lazy. Many of them do not read thouroughly the basic instructions before using the system. Many user want "babysitting". If an internet company puts 1.000 phone number available to help users directly, there will be 100.000 user phoning all the time to ask silly questions!

There will be always a percentage of lazy users that will be always wandering in the forums and communities, and the more a company offer babysitting, I believe this percentage will tend to be bigger. 

There are also many user that find difficult to use the system because  apps and software are an strange thing to them. It is a kind of "computer challenged user"... and a phone number or direct contact by email will not make them be skilled at once. What they can do is to work hard to get used to apps and computers, and in the meantime they can ask questions in the communities and socialize with other hosts.

If an issue or question is very important or difficult and not a silly question, then there is a phone number ! The more experienced hosts can indicate the phone number to the ones who have a serious question or are having some serious problem.

It is just my opinion and my point of view on ths matter.

@J-Renato0 , wise words! I totally agree with just about everything you say - so true that appArently there are hosts out there who aRe not aware that being an Airbnb host means running a business which requires knowledge of all the rules, as well as self sufficiency in tricky situations.

Still, there is a deep disconnect somewhere, and it's up to Airbnb to either "train" hosts better, not take them on, or put them through a "test" before hosting - or be available for support. and it doesn't help that things change every 5 minutes... maybe develop a support system like any support in a tech company: sign up (for pay) for Apple support and they will be available to you..

I clearly read in the new user agreement being rolled out now, that Airbnb is putting most of the responsibility (for things going wrong, for example) on the host. Can't blame them, as we hosts only pay them 3-5% of our hosting fee. 

Leslie-and-Craig0
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

I have tried to use the host support services on Airbnb's website and have gotten nowhere so I call customer service directly and have ALWAYS had a live person pick up the phone within 5 mins of being on hold and they have ALWAY resolved my issue, from navigating through my profile to modifying a reservation...their phone support is great! 855-424-7262.

Leslie and Craig, I was excited when I read your Customer Support Number you mentioned but unfortunately that may only work for Los Angeles not for S. Africa.  Does anyone have any international Customer Support no.?

South Africa's phone number should be 1-855-424-7262. 

@Kerry9, as of now there doesn't seem to be a "local" number for South Africa. Perhaps try the  toll free number @Dianna11 listed, or twitter @airbnbhelp. that seems to work well. here is an overall comprehensive guide:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide-UPDATED/m-p/413245

Let me know if you want contact info for AirBnb?  ***

I would LOVE some contact info for Air BnB !!

Pam, good morning.  Contact me directly...***.  

@Jerry78 , it's really not necessary to offer your personal services per your personal email on how to reach Airbnb. It's all spelled out here in the Community guide. go to the discussion group "Help", it's the first post there, good luck!