NYE bookings not allowed

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

NYE bookings not allowed

So I did a search and noticed my property isn’t showing for Dec 31. I contacted Support and was surprised to be told that a single night booking isn’t allowed for Dec 31 as part of the anti party policy. 

thank you Airbnb for making that decision for my property, a farm stay in a wine region, where people might go to events and need a place to stay afterwards. I do look forward to being reimbursed for this forced calendar blockage. /sarcasm 

6 Replies 6
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Gillian166 

This policy has been in place for a couple of years to help prevent those booking who intend to party. 

it identifies high risk bookings ie single night, new guests, under 25 and local Being key high risk factors . 

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

It doesn’t seem to have such particular skill in identifying “high risk” properties if my 2 person small suite is blocked. Plus it’s 50m from my house… 

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Helen3  last year we opted to close our 2 larger 3 bedroom listings for NYE, making our own adult decision about it, because it's MY business to make that choice.....   

If someone wants to party they'll just book for 2 nights instead of one. Gosh, I cracked that clever system easily enough. 🙄

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Gillian166 

That was good of them, 

If they are so concerned about parties, then they should give hosts the right to ask for ID from all guests and to charge a hefty security deposit. And not just the multi-property hosts but ALL hosts.

Instead, they've taken these away from us and have left us to trust their AI, their algorithms and their judgment. Of course, we've all seen how effective AirBNB is in all of the above regards.

We have the category catastrophe and the drop in bookings because of Chesky's pet project to promote his cronies; high end/managed properties while leaving the traditional AirBNB's to twist in the wind.

We've seen their algorithms fail miserably on so many levels. Where do we begin? How about Exhibit A: Blocking bookings without giving hosts any say. 

And we all know about AirBNB's judgment. One time dealing with their so called Customer Service agents in a 3rd world country who don't even know AirBNB's own policy will tell you about their bad  judgment.

If they really want to put the damper on parties, they should set up a way that if a host discovers a party, they can log onto the guest's reservation and hit "Cancel" which automatically triggers the cancellation, an automated notification to the guest they have 2 hours to depart with no refund. 

indeed @Rick4645 . this policy is either to protect the absentee host, or the 3rd party host, and to use as fodder for PR campaigns. We should have the option to toggle this off at our own discretion. I ask the CS person to unblock my calendar and they claimed they could not override it.