New listing feedback, upstate NY

Answered!
Jérémy146
Level 2
New York, NY

New listing feedback, upstate NY

Hello everyone, I've just set up a new listing and I'm eager to hear your suggestions on how to make it more attractive. Additionally, I'm contemplating whether to set a lower price for the first year to attract reviews, or should I set it at a similar price point to nearby properties? Here's the link to the listing for your reference : https://air.tl/Nj1WYx0B

1000024675.jpg

1 Best Answer
Alyson65
Level 2
Summerville, SC

Hi! I’m a Superhost with 6 listings. I don’t see one picture of the kitchen which can really make or break a vacation house for families. One of the photos too is blurry so I would just be very meticulous with the photos. With new listings we will sometimes lower the price for the first several bookings, not for an entire year. You can even only open the calendar for a 3 or 6 months to start and get reviews then up the price and open the calendar further. That’s what I would do for my own. Happy Hosting!!!

View Best Answer in original post

25 Replies 25

Cool! Thanks Paula

Alyson65
Level 2
Summerville, SC

Hi! I’m a Superhost with 6 listings. I don’t see one picture of the kitchen which can really make or break a vacation house for families. One of the photos too is blurry so I would just be very meticulous with the photos. With new listings we will sometimes lower the price for the first several bookings, not for an entire year. You can even only open the calendar for a 3 or 6 months to start and get reviews then up the price and open the calendar further. That’s what I would do for my own. Happy Hosting!!!

Anne-Marie458
Level 2
Armidale, Australia

Hi Jeremy, I don’t really have anything to add that the others haven’t already said.

Professional photos, perhaps using a drone to capture the house in its surrounds. I also felt it was very masculine.

As a cabin with 6 bunk beds I assume your target audience is either a family with 6 kids (goodness!) or a group on men on a boys trip?. I guess that it something to think about when creating your listing.

I wish you all the best with hosting (I’m new too!)

Anne-Marie 

Hey @Anne-Marie458 , thank you for the post. Is there something you think I could include in the picture or add to the house to give it a more neutral vibe, less masculine? I would like to appeal to family or group of friends, but I don't want to turn women away, the space is perfect for a group of girlfriends I think. 

The listing looks great! What we have done with our listing, now just a couple of months old, was start with a little lower price to attract the first couple of bookings and reviews with discounts for over 1 week long stays. Once you are a guest favorite or super host you can have more flexibility according to your targets and needs.

Alicia1246
Level 2
Mission, Canada

Hi Jeremy, As mentioned by other hosts.. the kitchen should definitely have 1 or 2 photos posted. The one dining area photo is blurry and is cluttered looking, put away the bag and any other unnecessary items for pictures. The main bedroom has clutter on the back counter, put it away for pictures. You want a an empty, inviting clean canvass for pictures. The bunk bed room has far too many pictures posted. I would only post 1 or 2 from a different corners of the room. You mention a firepit in the listing but I don't see any photos showcasing it. You also mention night time lights and ambience, post a photo of the patio at night with the lights on to highlight the beauty and coziness of the deck area at night. I would also post a night time photo of the front of the cabin, so if guests arrive after dark they know what your place looks like after dark. The one bathroom doesn't have a towel hanging on the rod, hang the plushest nicest towel you have for the picture so guests have an idea of the amenities they'll be using. You can add the amenities to each room, do that, so when people are clicking through your photos, they will know what each room offers. I listed my first Airbnb 3 months ago and it is doing remarkably well due to the fact that I left nothing up to the imagination. Guests know exactly what to expect when arriving at my home. https://airbnb.ca/h/hatzichideaway I listed my price very low until I received my first three 5* reviews and then I adjusted the price accordingly. You'll get a hang of it! Good luck!!

@Alicia1246 Wow, thank you, that's incredibly detailed and useful. I will make sure to refer back to your message when I go back and take new pictures. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this! And congratulations on your listing, I wish you continued success!!

Thank you @Jérémy146 ! Please message anytime if you need help or have any questions. I'm no expert but I do think I have a keen eye:) All the best with your new business!

Amy2809
Level 2
State College, PA

Hey @Jérémy146 

Great listing! 
I found the best success on clicks when I summarized the description. 
you could say:

Welcome to Fire Town Cabin!

Perfect location to escape and enjoy breath taking views of Fort Laurderdale and Vermont’s Green Mountains in a wonderfully appointed rustic cabin.

Includes:

- 1 queen bed - Primary Room
- 3 twin bunk beds - Second Room

(add if you have any additional air mattresses)

I would recommend investing in a projector so guests could plug in their phones for kids to watch a movie on a rainy day. 
you could say:

Disconnect and let Mother Nature steal your heart. Projector and HDMI cord available for phone hookup.

For primary bed pic: I would highly recommend buying a 2 duvets. They make some waterproof covers as well. I would get a white one because it makes it look very clean and put a light quilt underneath. I found laundry is the biggest overhaul so keep that in mind when buying linen. If you have white towels get a white duvet so it can all be bleached. I would remove the plastic bins from the picture.

For you listing and clicks. I picked 3-4 pictures that I would change out every day until I found 2 that got the most views or listings. I would use photo 1, 11, 2. 

For pricing: I took advantage of evaluating surrounding listings as well as nearby hotels. Take note of any local events, popular seasoned activities and capitalize. You can use room key by kayak to get a better understanding with hotel availabilities in your area. If room key is popping, adjust your prices. 🙂 

I set my price 10 dollars lower the surrounding listings. You will receive more traffic and more listings. Your goal is to become super host. Once I knew my market, I found it easier to adjust my rates and days. I initially had max of 4 nights wed, 3 night thurs, 2 nights Friday. I found those searching couldn’t see my listing when I had it too defined. You can make a min of 2 nights with a 10 percent discount for 3rd night. 

Hope this helps!

-Amy

Rose422
Level 5
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Hello @Jérémy146 

Congrats on your new listing. I love the space and that's exactly what everyone is looking for right now, beautiful nature! 

In terms of design upgrades, I would suggest contrasting decor in the bedrooms. Get some accent pillows, maybe plants (fake or real), red would look good in that blue bunk bed area to give it a new character since exterior also has those tones. The darker master could also get some accent colors such as shades of yellow, red and green.

I would suggest reducing the number of total guests initially. I always recommend growing slow but steady. It would be easer to manage expectations of 3-4 guests rather than having a group of 8 to start with. I would keep the rate competitive but reduce the number of guests to 4, charge a little lower for 2 guests and charge extra 25 dollars after 2 guests to start with. That's my 2 cents. 

I host in a boathouse/treehouse and started with 1-2 guests, always asking for private feedback to improve my hosting experience for future guests. 

It helps to get guests commend on what they would like to see improved.

Best of luck. 

Rose. 

Form Graceland Fort Lauderdale. 

Ann39973
Level 2
Queanbeyan, Australia

Hi Jeremy

It looks an interesting part of the world. Maybe, from a female perspective, remove any clutter in background photos eg dining room you can see clutter from kitchen and on seats, bedroom 2 on shelf, another photo of living area or dining / living together to get a better look at space available for a large group or family. 
Good luck with renting on Airbnb.

Ann

(Australia)