New registration law in nyc

Answered!
Jose6896
Level 2
New York, NY

New registration law in nyc

Will airbnb crash with this new registration law in effect . Are we getting fines by not registering . Should we find another way of renting our units?

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Can't see why it hasn't crashed in the many other locations which have registrations @Jose6896 

View Best Answer in original post

34 Replies 34
Celine490
Level 1
New York, NY

Hi Jose,

I also have same questions. Don't know where I can find the answers:(

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jose6896 I think Airbnb is big enough to cope even without NYC. Hard to believe I know.....

My concern is in nyc . Do you think nyc air bnb will be able to continue hosting as this new regulation will make it impossible 

@Jose6896 If the regulation truly makes it impossible then Airbnb listings in NYC will not be able to continue.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I'm not sure that's true I haven't read anywhere they are banning STRs in NYC just they are introducing further restrictions @Jose6896 

@Mike-And-Jane0 

Do you mean the world does not revolve around NYC? What horror! I'm afraid like all New Yorkers, I also believe a world out side the city does not exit 🙂 Also, notice how we always refer to it as THE city, as if there are no other cities in the world. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Can't see why it hasn't crashed in the many other locations which have registrations @Jose6896 

Jose6896
Level 2
New York, NY

These other registrations do they requires 30 days minimun stay?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Do some market research @Jose6896  quite a few areas have 30 day minimum. 

Sameer47
Level 2
New York, NY

For all hosts I think what is important now is for us focus and to comply with local laws and regulations to avoid fines and penalties. It is advisable to consult with a local attorney or a real estate professional to understand the implications of the new registration law on your Airbnb rental business. Additionally, exploring other rental options may be a viable strategy to consider. I’m on vacation now away from NYC BUT WILL SURE CONTACT AN ATTORNEY AS WELL. 

I just spoke to a woman in the mayor's office. She says they will be checking applications to see that the spaces are complying with the law.

She says that legally you are allowed to host up to two people IN YOUR own house. If you live there. If it is a separate unit, it is illegal. If you are not home at the time, it is not ok!!! 

We have guest rooms in the basement that we airbnb. She says we will have to prove that we are using them AND that they are legally on our certificate of occupancy with the Dept of Building.

They will start enforcing these laws in September. Violations will cost $1000 per infraction.

This is govt overreach at its finest...

@Gavriella0 Im on the same boat, do you know where to check the certificate of occupancy, it is one house!

https://a810-dobnow.nyc.gov/publish/Index.html#!/ 

try this with your address.

best of luck!

@Gavriella0 Great information, unfortunate news! Is there any info on what happens to existing reservations passed September 5th? Do those get cancelled by AirBnB or would  the host have to cancel if they choose not to register