New security camera policy is unreasonable

Conrad76
Level 8
Boston, MA

New security camera policy is unreasonable

I presume all hosts received an email from Airbnb about security cameras, in which it says, "You’re not allowed to have cameras that monitor indoor spaces." That is completely unfair. The basic Abode security system that I have has a motion sensor with a camera that takes a snapshot if the sensor is triggered when the alarm is on, to get a picture of who or what is moving in the hallway. I disclose this in my listing, and I have a small curtain that guests can pull to cover the camera if they are concerned about privacy. Airbnb is essentially forcing me to get a different security system. How are other hosts dealing with this?

212 Replies 212

The founder went from a host to CEO of this big company, it's frustrating that they don't care about it. Their early model was a shared place, though.

we closed our calendar.

Carsten144
Level 2
San Mateo, CA

This new policy was a big concern for me because I built my entire Airbnb's home control around the Brilliant Smart Home controller system which has a built-in camera. They have a shutter that can block the camera and a setting to disable it in software - which is how I've had it set (and I disclosed this in my listing).  But per my read of the new Airbnb policy in effect today - neither is enough -- the camera has to be completely removed to comply with the policy. I fretted over this for some time and reached out to Brilliant support as well, and they couldn't help - other than to say they're looking into a non-camera option in the future. So this meant I would have to either completely replace my Brilliant home automation system (hundreds of dollars at a minimum) or figure out a way to remove the camera. So I went down the second path and was able to take the controller apart and remove the camera from the inside (here's a video on how to, that I posted if others are in the same boat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrbWf7ibKHY In my case, I don't have an issue not having a camera on the inside - I have exterior security cameras, and I rent the entire house on Airbnb, so there are no shared spaces inside that I need to monitor.