New to AIRBNB HOSTING

Answered!
Anthony1799
Level 2
Buffalo, NY

New to AIRBNB HOSTING

Any TIPS a bit nervous and still in final prep mode to launch - ‘go live’

1 Best Answer

Don't be. We're all here to help (and collectively have seen it all). Remember to breathe. Do not accept any guest you don't feel comfortable with.

1. Change your settings so only guests with prior good reviews can instant book you. Other guests can "request to book."

2. Make sure your house rules indicate that only guests on the reservation are allowed. I always ask for the names of each guest that will be staying.

3. Cameras on the exterior door are key. I'm partial to Blink because the batteries last a long time compared to Ring. And no subscription needed. I was able to get notifications even when I was in Europe on vacation.

4. Enjoy! The guests that are chatty and tell you why they are coming to visit are often a joy! We consider several of our past guests friends now.

Always feel free to ask questions. I've been hosting for 8 years and I still come here to get advice from other hosts.

Welcome to the community!

View Best Answer in original post

25 Replies 25
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Have a look at the Airbnb guide for new hosts @Anthony1799 

And familiarise yourself with the Airbnb Help website

you can use the search function on this community as most issues will be covered 

I appreciate.. it is very helpful indeed!

Nur785
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Anthony1799 

I'll give you one of the most important tips I got when I started a few months ago. Make sure you have water proof mattress covers and pillow covers. People spill coffee and tea in the bedroom all the time and this tip has saved my mattresses on several occasions! 

You've got this! Let us know when the listing goes live! 

Thank you very much!

Will do, thank you!

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Anthony1799 Be sensible but don't worry about all the bad stuff you hear. Most/all of it will never happen to you. Oh and smile when you meet people - Build a rapport and they will forgive a lot of minor issues.

Thank you very much!

Don't be. We're all here to help (and collectively have seen it all). Remember to breathe. Do not accept any guest you don't feel comfortable with.

1. Change your settings so only guests with prior good reviews can instant book you. Other guests can "request to book."

2. Make sure your house rules indicate that only guests on the reservation are allowed. I always ask for the names of each guest that will be staying.

3. Cameras on the exterior door are key. I'm partial to Blink because the batteries last a long time compared to Ring. And no subscription needed. I was able to get notifications even when I was in Europe on vacation.

4. Enjoy! The guests that are chatty and tell you why they are coming to visit are often a joy! We consider several of our past guests friends now.

Always feel free to ask questions. I've been hosting for 8 years and I still come here to get advice from other hosts.

Welcome to the community!

Wow this is great Christine .. Thank you!

I appreciate your words!~

Questions on the following which were not fully answered by the HOST HOTLINE:

1) charging us heir electric powered vehicle with your house electricity?.

2) Items taken without permission?.

If you can assist with these concerns I would really appreciate it!

hi i am a new host just one year, but my question is ?

i live in canada and our two properties are in Cuba so we cant do promotions on booking or Trivago or Expidia is any options or just Airbnb. thanks

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Do a Google search @Ronel53 and see where your competitors are advertising 

Hi I would like to host my house in Nicaragua, can you please help me with the best option to get guess 

thank you!

My husband and I are newbies too and I was very nervous when we went 'live'.   We turned 'er on a few weeks ago and within 30hours had our first booking request! 

Gosh, it was a lot of work getting it ready physically and creating the listing but it was also fun!

I was SO nervous with the first 2 stays wondering how they would treat and leave the place (it is our home after all!)  Happy to report they were very respectful and left our house so clean and tidy.   Upon viewing the property after these  2 stays and seeing how well our cleaners cleaned, my nervousness has settled down.

My tips:   

-Create a check list of everything that you need/want done.   

-Have another set of eyes look at your listing to check for errors and be sure it's thorough.  

-Book experienced guests at first.

-Make sure you give ample time for the place to be cleaned before next guest arrives.

-Find a couple of good cleaners 

-I agree with the rest....BREATHE! 

All the Best!