New to Air BnB

Sharon1474
Level 1
Maleny, Australia

New to Air BnB

Hi Brains Trust,

I am just setting up a new Air BnB space and wanted some advice on some of the smaller details please? e.g. where do you purchase good quality toiletry products? do you iron your sheets and pillow cases? I'm in Australia. Thanks.

3 Replies 3
Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Sharon1474

That's fantastic, congratulations on starting this hosting adventure!

There's some really useful information and discussions in this section of the Community Center, relating to New Hosts. For example @Christine615 shared here some advice on getting your listing guest-ready, and @Laura2592 started a great discussion about things Hosts think are useful to know when starting out. 

Additionally, I wonder if @Gillian166 @Helen744 @Robin4 @Laurelle3 or @Max144 had any more Australian-specific advice to share? 

Thanks, 

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Sharon1474 welcome to the Community Centre forum. I had to look up where Sippy Down was. On the Sunshine Coast Qld near Buderim and the ginger farm and factory.

Sheets, I launder my own and they are cotton and yes I iron them, I fold them in half and only iron half because I think they look better for presentation. But you will get many answers on this topic.

Toiletries, I supply both, the small hotel style for arrival on towels on bed - shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and body lotion and soap. Brand  - "Urban Appeal" from a company in Qld. (I choose to supply these for presentation.) The large are in the bathroom from Aldi, Coles, Woolies. Shampoo, conditioner, body wash and hand wash pump - refillable.

I find more people use the large ones in the bathroom and may not use all the small products and you can tell if they are used or not. 

The Community Centre Forum is friendly has good advice but I believe you take the best from the negatives and positives to go forward with your Airbnb.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sharon1474 

Sharon, I am an in-venerate bargain hunter.....I am forever trying to source a cost effective answer to my hosting role.

To answer your question I purchased 3 cartons of Dove moisturising soap on Ebay a couple of years ago which meant I ended up with over 3,000 individually boxed Dove soaps for 8c per cake. I have got enough soap here for two lifetimes....so every guest gets a nicely packaged Dove soap.

IMG20181103205719.jpg

Hair shampoo I simply buy on special but find, it is not often used, even though I only buy quality brands.

I turn on a cheese plate for every guest, even overnighters. I have an arrangement with the manageress of our local Woolworths supermarket, and when cheeses get within a week or so of their use by date, or they get a bit picked around in the display cabinet, they either go into the dumpster or they get put into the specially marked 'Rob' box which is located out the back of the store and each time I go into that store I get a supply of cheeses for something between 30c and $1 per cheese. Sharon I turn on a $30 cheese plate for every guest, with my compliments and it never costs me more than $1.

I supply a lot for every guest, but almost everything is subject to some deal I have done This is what every guests on their arrival......

IMG20180317111535.jpg

This is what their cheese plate looks like.......

Screenshot_2021-04-13-14-46-23-68.png

Guests just love these touches, it really sorts you out from every hotel on the planet....and it cost me less than $2 per guest.

The bed Sharon is the focal point of the listing, it is a specially made Queen size bed, is 8ft long and has 6 electric motors in it for lift and massage......

IMG20170308183328 03.jpg

I wash everything down to and including the mattress protector for every guest, and I iron the top sheet and the pillowcases......there is not a lot you can do with a fitted sheet! 

Sharon we don't just need to be clean, we need to be seen to be clean, and when guests see those nice ironed in crease marks on the pillowcases and that top sheet, it gives them confidence that this bed has been prepared just for them....and they do reward you in the review process.

Give the guest something they are not expecting and you will find guests will beat a path to your door!

Cheers.........Rob