Pet Fees

Burke10
Level 4
Atlanta, GA

Pet Fees

I brought this up last month and now we are having problems again, or should I say "Still".  We just had a prospective guest try to book our house and said that there were 5 adults and two dogs, but they couldn't find any pet fees.  We tried to explain how to amend their booking to add the pets but they couldn't figure it out. So we told them we would accept their booking and send them a request for more money to cover pet fees, which was fine with them.  How is AirBnB website so bad about this.  VRBO website automatically opens the input window to put adults, children and pets, unlike AirBnB that makes you "hunt" around to find the input window.  And because pet fees aren't listed and don't show up anywhere, how many thousands of hosts are losing out on pet fees because guests can't find where to put it in? 

How can anyone get a hold of someone at AirBnB that has any ability to bring this to the attention of someone that can actually do something to fix the problem?

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Burke10 if the guest has managed to add the number of adults and children then it is hard to see how they have not seen the number of pets option as it is on the same drop down menu.

I suspect they are trying to avoid the fee! Alternatively they revery stupid so I would worry about them being able to find your place let alone understand any rules you might have.

Negative.  They aren't finding the drop down for any of the children, infant, pets. They put in guests in their initial search and that is moved to the reservation window. But they have to hit the "little" arrow next to guests to add children, infants, pets.  This is not intuitive.  Look at VRBO website. When you go to book a stay, it opens that input window without you having to find the little down arrow.  It's not that hard to make a better website.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

It's easy for you to do it @Burke10.  In their reservation details, scroll down to Support -> Change reservation.  From there, you'll see this:

Screen Shot 2023-01-10 at 3.55.11 PM.png

Choose "Change reservation," and you'll see this:

Screen Shot 2023-01-10 at 3.55.28 PM.png

Click on the dropdown under "Guests," and you'll see this:

Screen Shot 2023-01-10 at 3.55.40 PM.png

Choose the number of pets and submit the change for the guest's approval.

PS:  In this example, the "plus" sign is grayed out because this listing doesn't accept pets.

Yes Ann72, in my comments at the top, I stated that I sent an amended request just like you described.  My comment was in reference to Why AirBnB can't  have the input window automatically open when someone tries to make a reservation?  We have had 50% of our bookings not be able to find or aren't knowledgable enough to find the little down arrow beside "Guests" so that they can input Children, Infants, pets.  VRBO's website does just what I've described.  It automatically  has that window open so people don't have to search for it.  AirBnB turns it into a scavenger hunt.