Pet restrictions

Nancy1820
Level 1
The Villages, FL

Pet restrictions

I'd like to  know if there is a way to  "restrict" pets based on weight so the guests can see it at registration.  Typically you have a 25# limit at a hotel for example.  I had a guest who was going to bring an 80# dog that sheds profusely but I didn't know it until after the booking. Fortunately she cancelled so I didn't have to deal with it...Can't find a way to ask Air BnB this quesiton so hope someone here can help ..Thanks!

4 Replies 4
Karol22
Level 10
SF, CA

I don't think there's more that can be done other than to ask the guest the dog's size before they book the reservation, inform them about the size restriction and let them know you'll be checking when you meet with them upon arrival.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

We once had someone ask if they could bring their 'chicken' (how big could it be), but it turned out to be a humongous-size, obnoxious and very aggressive turkey

Christina163
Level 10
United States

I ask every renter if they are traveling w children or pets. Not suitable for children at any of our properties as someone tried to sue us after they dropped an infant at our house. We were obviously not found at fault as this is just ambulance chasing at its finest, but it was a waste of a lot of our insurance company & attorney's time. I ask the size of the pets.  We have rented to dogs in the past but we could never do cats there's no reason for that...

If you are nervous about the rental, ask if they would agree to sanitation costs at $600-$1000 furniture/shampoos - most people find another rental. There are tons of pet friendly rentals on here!

I had someone ask me to bring two 60 lbs Italian Mastiffs...you know they drool & tear everything apart! Would be impossible to chase someone down for damages like this.

Dealing with unexpected pet situations can be stressful, I totally get it. While I'm not sure about Airbnb's specific policies, I've found communication to be key in these situations. Maybe you could add a note in your listing mentioning your weight limit for pets? It's like when I hosted guests and my Ragdoll cat like at **, Luna, unexpectedly had kittens! Clear communication beforehand can save everyone a headache later on.

**[Identifiable information removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines due to safety reasons]