Please critique my listing - JP and Michelle

Answered!
JP-and-Michelle0
Level 1
Brisbane City, Australia

Please critique my listing - JP and Michelle

Hello everyone

Hope you are all well.

Michelle and I have just finished the "adventure of a lifetime", building a mountain lodge / chalet in the South Island of NZ. We have recently (3 weeks) listed the property on Air BnB and just had our first guest who left us a lovely review. Whilst we are getting quite a few "views" (7-10 most days) we don't seems to be converting them into booking regularly yet. As our lodge is very unique compared to the listings in the area, and our strategy is trying to book the lodge for no more than 20-25 weeks per year , we are relatively comfortable with the results so far, but feel it would be good to have other experienced host have a look at the listing and critique our approach.

Our link to the listing is Solitude Lodge - Houses for Rent in Kingston, Southland, New Zealand - Airbnb

Don't hold back guys, if our listing sucks, please let us know!!! It's our first shot at this and I wouldn't be surprised if we could improve our listing significantly.

Thanks all for your help

Regards

JP and Michelle

1 Best Answer
Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@JP-and-Michelle0  Hey, what a stunning place for sure - first off, I dislike critique, which always sounds negative, I prefer the word Feedback. So everything I am about to write is Feedback, I'm jealous that you have such a glorious place with all you are able to offer, afford and much more. Truly breathtaking. So the listing should reflect that - I think it falls way short. 

I would completely rewrite the listing - rename it - take pics at different times of the day to avoid all the shadows, I know, not easy, but the contrast of pics  let's say living space vs. bathroom is surprising and not a plus factor. Everything is rather stark white, which can and should be beautiful but in some pics isn't.  

Think about what invites people - you write its the center where all the action for fishing, hunting, skiing is but if looking for the other type action this is not the place. I would NOT compare to what it is NOT. If written well, they will know without having to read it. Pictures can also tell the whole story if done perfectly. 

Sell what it IS...you say well stocked kitchen??? I see no evidence. french press, toaster, microwave?? Give a peak of what you mean,  and write it. 

Your first guest writes you  helped  them a lot??? What??  - solitude, that means quiet, alone?? You see, I am confused. 

The place is drop dead fabulous but your title, writings are stark, bland, with a business edge and don't invite me. Writing MUST be guest centric. Help the guest imagine themselves there in a general way. Read others listing, see what attracts you in the luxury side of Airbnb. I don't see that word anywhere on your listing, it is such delicious scenery, the mountains, snow in winter....

There's no color, only 2 small pieces of art on the walls, everything screams minimalist. And that's cool, if that's what you are selling. But when guests are not sure, and can't set their expectations you will run into massive challenges. What you see is what you get is how I work my listing! Truly and just fyi, look at the just out-- yesterday of the Airbnb 2023 #1 host for hospitality  in the USA of each state. Check out Florida! I'll let that be my proof. lol

"Are you dreaming/wishing for  mountain views out of every window, curling up in front of the fire with an amazing night sky then you've come to the right place."

THIS sentence which partly came from your listing is what I'm talking about. 

The wine bottle?? I know many hosts leave snacks and beverages/water for their guests. I leave snacks/water/coffee cream or milk. Do you have a case of wine for your guests? Sell this brand? I don't ever leave booze for my guest. Why you ask? Booze wrecked the lives of many in my family and if someone was now sober and came to your place with a free bottle/s of wine would that be too much temptation for them?? You see there's many angles to look at and booze I take seriously. I never assume my guests have no problem with having free booze left for them. Cause its a daily struggle for many people all over the world. OK, enough of that one. 

I hope you understand I'm wanting you to have and make the absolute most of your place and I think it's possible.

I hope my comments have inspired some rethinking - remember guests look at pics, read some of what is written usually,  so make it brief, fabulous and inviting. 

Also, you can look at anyone's listing on the community center by clicking their profile pic and you see the way to do that.

happy hosting, keep us posted on this amazing place and what you do and how it all developes.

Best regards,

Clara116

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@JP-and-Michelle0 Is it minimalist or is it clinical? Is it perfect or does it need some homely touches/softening?

These are questions that I can't answer but just throw them out there for others to comment.

@Mike-And-Jane0  You are too funny - didn't want to go first huh? I get it. I too have 50 questions about so much....with the stunning, comes the confusing on this one. I'm going to tackle it - let me know what you think cause they did ask for critique - a word I dislike, I much prefer FEEDBACK....

maybe we can compare notes after I give it a go. I hope to hear what your first take is too.

happy hosting, Clara

@Clara116 The word 'Critique' is fine as it does not necessarily have to be negative. Many critiques of artwork or Bruce Springsteen's current tour are overwhelmingly positive. It is a shame so many words have been hijacked from their proper meanings. I look forward to your feedback on the listing.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@JP-and-Michelle0  Hey, what a stunning place for sure - first off, I dislike critique, which always sounds negative, I prefer the word Feedback. So everything I am about to write is Feedback, I'm jealous that you have such a glorious place with all you are able to offer, afford and much more. Truly breathtaking. So the listing should reflect that - I think it falls way short. 

I would completely rewrite the listing - rename it - take pics at different times of the day to avoid all the shadows, I know, not easy, but the contrast of pics  let's say living space vs. bathroom is surprising and not a plus factor. Everything is rather stark white, which can and should be beautiful but in some pics isn't.  

Think about what invites people - you write its the center where all the action for fishing, hunting, skiing is but if looking for the other type action this is not the place. I would NOT compare to what it is NOT. If written well, they will know without having to read it. Pictures can also tell the whole story if done perfectly. 

Sell what it IS...you say well stocked kitchen??? I see no evidence. french press, toaster, microwave?? Give a peak of what you mean,  and write it. 

Your first guest writes you  helped  them a lot??? What??  - solitude, that means quiet, alone?? You see, I am confused. 

The place is drop dead fabulous but your title, writings are stark, bland, with a business edge and don't invite me. Writing MUST be guest centric. Help the guest imagine themselves there in a general way. Read others listing, see what attracts you in the luxury side of Airbnb. I don't see that word anywhere on your listing, it is such delicious scenery, the mountains, snow in winter....

There's no color, only 2 small pieces of art on the walls, everything screams minimalist. And that's cool, if that's what you are selling. But when guests are not sure, and can't set their expectations you will run into massive challenges. What you see is what you get is how I work my listing! Truly and just fyi, look at the just out-- yesterday of the Airbnb 2023 #1 host for hospitality  in the USA of each state. Check out Florida! I'll let that be my proof. lol

"Are you dreaming/wishing for  mountain views out of every window, curling up in front of the fire with an amazing night sky then you've come to the right place."

THIS sentence which partly came from your listing is what I'm talking about. 

The wine bottle?? I know many hosts leave snacks and beverages/water for their guests. I leave snacks/water/coffee cream or milk. Do you have a case of wine for your guests? Sell this brand? I don't ever leave booze for my guest. Why you ask? Booze wrecked the lives of many in my family and if someone was now sober and came to your place with a free bottle/s of wine would that be too much temptation for them?? You see there's many angles to look at and booze I take seriously. I never assume my guests have no problem with having free booze left for them. Cause its a daily struggle for many people all over the world. OK, enough of that one. 

I hope you understand I'm wanting you to have and make the absolute most of your place and I think it's possible.

I hope my comments have inspired some rethinking - remember guests look at pics, read some of what is written usually,  so make it brief, fabulous and inviting. 

Also, you can look at anyone's listing on the community center by clicking their profile pic and you see the way to do that.

happy hosting, keep us posted on this amazing place and what you do and how it all developes.

Best regards,

Clara116

Hi @Clara116 

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our listing with so much passion. This was exactly the type of response we were looking for. Whilst I have reason for why the house may look a little minimalist at the moment (its only 3 weeks old! and it takes time to find the right "accesories"), I truly appreciate the amount of time you have put into your review. We will hopefully get others to have a look and add their comments as well as bit by bit we will tinker with the listing until it hits the right spot. The lodge is in one of the beautiful and unspoilt places on the planet (and only 40 mins form an international airport), so we are quite confident that once we've had a few guests we will get the bookings to where they need to be.

Again, thank you for your help

Regards

JP and Michelle

@JP-and-Michelle0  my pleasure totally!