Rural internet access

Hans542
Level 1
Farmington, NM

Rural internet access

I have friends moving to a rural part of Costa Rica. They are interested in becoming Airbnb hosts, but are concerned about a lack of internet access for either the creation of a listing or for the convenience of prospective guests. How can this be addressed?

2 Replies 2
Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I'd say it can't. Sure they could become hosts but the only guests they're going to get are people who specifically want to "get away from it all." Those are a very small subset of humanity, so sure have them put up the listing touting the escapism it provides. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Hans542  This is doable. Your friends just need to be very clear in their listing info that internet is iffy, or non-existent. They shouldn't bury this information, but make it very prominent in their listing,and also re-iterate it when guests request to book (I'd suggest they don't use instant book). My internet is sometimes fine, sometimes not, sometimes cuts out but comes right back again. Definitely not the place to book for those who expect high-speed, constant connection. But all my guests have been fine with this, because I make it clear. If they need better internet, there are many restaurants and cafes in town where they can get a good connection.

What your friends need to do is to advertise the lack of internet as a positive- "NO INTERNET! Relax, unplug" sort of thing, and market towards the type of guests for whom that would be an attraction.

Several of my guests have said they were glad that my internet was spotty-that they waste way too much time online at home and were happy to be basically forced to not get sucked into the digital world. They read books they'd wanted to read and not gotten around to, did yoga, made art, took long walks, etc.