SECURITY CONCERNS

Martynz0
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

SECURITY CONCERNS

Hello Guys, 

I have a serious issue. 

There was a booking on my listing initially, which i got a text message specifying a name for the booking. 

Upon opening my calendar on the app, the name and photo was changed to someone else. 

I contacted Airbnb about this matter for security reason and mentioned that i was not comfortable about the booking since i was getting numerous changes in Identity.   

The person assigned to the matter literally told me that Airbnb has no policy about changing photo or name on the platform. 

I went back and forth about the matter and still was told that its either i cancel or the guest cancels. 

Also that if i cancelled there is no free penalty for me on the cancelation. That i should contact the guest on the matter to find out about the identity and why they kept changing. 

I said ok not a problem i will contact the guest on the matter. 

I went further to ask the guest staying of who the real identity is and who will be showing up due to the changes in name and photo. 

I got a response from the guest on file in my calendar and the guest sent a Government ID ( International Passport ) that she is the one staying. 

And it was settled. 

I've got screenshots evidences about all of this. 

I woke up today just to see an entirely different photo and name on the booking again. 

I have again escalated this matter and i do not feel comfortable with hosting this guest for security reasons. 

I am thinking if any other persons shows up at the listing, other than the person who sent me her Government ID on the message trail that she was the one booking and would be staying, i might need to get law enforcement involved for safety and security. 

This is a very sensitive issue because we all cant tell if a convict wanted globally.   

Please what should i do? 

Thank you. 

6 Replies 6
Bes175
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Not only  name changes/ photos are allowed but one can assign entire account to someone else [partner, friend etc] changes you have seen - might be 'someone playing around like this, or it could be a major security concern.

1. Did you know that you can check RED NOTICES by Interpol? 

https://www.interpol.int/en/How-we-work/Notices/View-Red-Notices

Top right: WANTED.

Scroll down a bit,

left hand-side put names/ details you have.

2. Be direct, tell the person: I do not think you should come here. Changes you made make me uncomfortable: CANCEL and find somewhere else.  They might even give a genuine explanation. 

3. If alone, vulnerable and also in fear [your gut feeling] call in advance you local Police station or non-emergency number; generally they are good at giving advice [you'll be leaving a record] get a reference number and ALREADY be in their system.

4. Lets see if moderators here, can push along a bit more your escalation with Airbnb.

G.LUCK

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

1. No you can't assign an account to a third party

2. you can't make a guest cancel 

What the host should be doing in this scenario is insist Airbnb cancel because they are concerned for their safety

are you a host Mr Cat @Bes175  you mention being one but there's no listing on your profile 

Bes175
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Helen.png

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Martynz0 

Ask Airbnb to confirm in writing (message system) that they still support the booking despite the concerns/issues you brought to their attention.

Thank you 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Martynz0 

Sorry to hear about this.

I've passed the information you've provided over to Airbnb to see if there's anything that they can do to help with this.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines