Shared Space listings. Are locks on individual rooms required?

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

Shared Space listings. Are locks on individual rooms required?

Anybody have info about what is the expectation for safety/privacy for shared space listings??

Friend just arrived to a listing that is supposed to be 3 private bedrooms within a shared home. None of the bedrooms have locks.

Is this a deal-breaker? What should CS do, if Guest calls and is uncomfortable with sleeping in a shared home without the ability to lock a bedroom door?

Thanks!

18 Replies 18

@Huma0  I had a similar problem, old locks without keys, and found a locksmith here in Zagreb who came, took out the entire lock, cleaned it, made new keys, and installed it back on the door. So yes, it is possible.

He said that old locks are of great quality and last more than 100 years while new ones break easily.

This locksmith is the only one who also makes BMB keys in Zagreb, and I call him whenever I have some more complicated problem with the locks.

@Branka-and-Silvia0 

Oooh, thanks for that advice! I never thought about that, but definitely worth looking into. There are a lot of doors in this house (almost all old) so it could be quite an expense, but I suppose I could just start with three guest bedrooms (and maybe my own) and then do the rest at a later date.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Kelly149 

A host doesn't have to provide locks for bedrooms doors in shared homes.

If your friend had wanted to reassure themselves their bedroom door had a lock, he should have checked for a shared listing that mentioned their bedroom doors had locks or asked the host before booking.

So no he wouldn't have grounds for a penalty free cancellation.

Having said that I believe a hosts letting individual rooms in a shared listing where there is no host on the premises,  should have bedroom door locks but it was up to your friend to do his due diligence before booking.  @Kelly149 

@Helen3  Yes, this listing was a known gamble (new & clearly not necessarily well thought out). In the end, he opted to move to a safer space. I think this is an area that abb should address if they haven’t previously.