Shipping address dilemma

Shipping address dilemma

Hi All,  I am currently building a log home in NH to be used as an AirBnB property and I'm really excited to become a host!

I have a little bit of a dilemma that I wanted to see if other "new construction" AirBnB owners may have experienced.  So, my home has been given an address by the town, but I have not registered that address with the USPS as I don't want to receive any (junk) mail there.  Apparently, installing a mailbox and registering your address with the USPS is the only way for the "world" to know your address exists.  (They must upload the new address into some national database that other companies use to define mailing addresses).  

I will soon need to receive shipments at the home (cabinets, furniture, decorations, fixtures, etc..), but I afraid they might all be "return to sender - address unknown".  Does anyone know if another way to make a new address "known" to the world? 

Thanks,

Chad

2 Replies 2
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Chad381   You should go ahead and register the address and put up a mailbox.  You can then request that the local post office hold all mail.  Delivery companies will rely on a known address on their GPS systems.  

An interesting aside, when we built our home, the county planning and zoning departments assigned us an address for the utility companies to use.  It appeared on GPS.  When the home was finished and we received our certificate of occupancy, the 911 emergency service CHANGED our address, and this is the address that we now receive mail at.  Whenver I talk to the utility companies, I have to provide the old address and if they are coming to the house for servicing, I have to put up an address sign with the old address or they just drive away.  Make sure that the address given to you is going to be a permanent one.

Hello! Congratulations on your log home project in NH, and welcome to the Airbnb hosting community! It's fantastic that you're excited about becoming a host.

Regarding your concern about making your new address known for shipments without registering it with the USPS, there's a solution you might find helpful. Consider using a mail and package forwarding service. These services provide you with a unique street address where you can receive mail and packages. They can then forward your items to your preferred address.

One such service is the [USPS Mail Forwarding ** , which allows you to forward your mail temporarily. Another option is ** a private company offering similar services.

By using a forwarding service, you can receive shipments at your new address without the need to register it with the USPS. This way, you'll have better control over your mail while ensuring you don't miss any essential deliveries for your log home.

Best of luck with your Airbnb hosting journey and the completion of your log home project! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. 

**[Link removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines] - Please note that it is not allowed to advertise on the Community Center.