Sudden drop in inquiries

Philippe2083
Level 1
New York, NY

Sudden drop in inquiries

Hello Airbnb community, we have a home in Maine that we rent for the summer months. At this point in the year, we are usually almost booked out for June, July and August. This year we've had a complete drop in inquiries. When I search for the home based on geography I'm unable to find it unless I zoom in with the smallest radius. Does anyone have any thoughts about what might be happening or if we might be getting penalized for something? Thanks so much!  

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/32470610?source_impression_id=p3_1710709226_KBmBrCjNupkuBPUR

6 Replies 6

Hi Philippe, I am experiencing the same thing and this is my listing

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/51531636?source_impression_id=p3_1710680798_HR4KO7LhC0XYbfc2

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Philippe2083  I haven't looked at your listing, as I don't think it has anything to do with your question. 

The travel and hospitality industries are subject to trends, as well as changes in supply and demand, just like any other industry. Many hosts fail to understand this, based on the countless posts similar to yours in the Community Center. 

Many markets are oversaturated with STRs, so there's lots of supply and not enough demand to fill them all. 

Personally, I think we are still in a huge rebound from the pandemic. People stayed in and close to home for a couple of years. They started venturing further afield in 2023, and I think 2024 is going even bigger. A lot more overseas travel, etc. 

For me, 2020 and 2021 were banner years, but I never expected that to continue, as travel restrictions were lifted and travel started returning to what we think of as "normal."

Just as with any business, there are no guarantees. While you may end up with a fair amount of bookings, I think that people are not booking as far in advance, so that may be why it's so quiet for you right now. That has been the case with my property. 

I don't think you're getting penalized in any particular way, although we all, as hosts, are- by AirBnB's hot mess of a search feature, where rentals don't show up in the town and zip code where they are located. I gave up on that fight a while ago, and somehow guests are still able to find me. Every update makes the search feature worse, but fighting AirBnB to "fix" it is a losing proposition. As I said, it penalizes everyone, so we're all at the same disadvantage. 

This may not be the response you were seeking, but it is my thoughts on your question. 

Good luck, and I hope you get some summer bookings. 

Kia

Thanks so much Kia. Seems like a lot of people are seeing lower demand but I appreciate everyone sharing their learnings and insights about actively managing the listing. Thank you!

Karen4131
Level 10
Malmö, Sweden

Hi @Philippe2083 

I agree with @Kia272 in her assessments below. The market has changed, and many are facing the same challenges on Airbnb.

However, there are some specific things that apply to your property, particularly your location by a lakeside. It's one of the factors that make your place unique.

Airbnb Categories

I noticed that you're not listed under Airbnb's categories "Lake Front" and "Lake". If I were to travel in that area, I'd probably choose those categories in my search, and if I do, your listing becomes completely invisible. That's quite misleading.

It's possible to call Airbnb and ask them to review your place and assess if it meets those two categories. (I have successfully done it myself). I think you've already documented it with your photos.

Read about the catogeries here: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/3374

Cover photo

Choose a cover photo that showcases this. It can get more people to add you to their Wish List, and it boosts your ranking. It could be one of these two, or one that shows your house's location by the lakeside. (However, please note that Airbnb still states that they prefer vertical images in high resolution).

Karen4131_0-1710761505132.jpeg

Karen4131_1-1710761560523.jpeg

Also, place the next best 4 photos in your list of pictures at the top of your photo list, as those are the five photos that show up first on a PC when clicking on your listing.

Be active

It's said that Airbnb favors hosts who actively work on their listings, so update your photos/text/title/calendar occasionally.

Pricing

Also, take a look at your pricing. Airbnb displays the 300 listings it believes have the highest chance of being rented out in any given search. If you're getting back into the game, offer some deals like 'Early Bird,' seen under Pricing. It can push you up in ranking and get people to wish list you, etc.

It's indeed a competition to be well-placed in Airbnb's ranking, but your place is so uniquely attractive that it would be a shame if you don't take up the challenge... - Someone has to be on page 1 in an Airbnb search 😊

Good luck

Karen

@Philippe2083  I just saw that your property I located by the sea and not a lake, and that you are categorized correctly. 

However there are a bunch of different adjustments that can be made to make the search algorithm notice you again. Try searching on Airbnb SEO. 

Lowering the price for a period might be the most effective thing to do right now together with a update on your cover photo.

Karen

Keren, wow. This is all so helpful. Thank you so much for this thoughtful reply. I've updated photos, title and pricing. I also reached out to customer support about adding a 'waterfront' category to the listing. I really appreciate you taking the time to share all of your insights and learning. Philippe