Towelsโ€”how many to provide. Iโ€™ve had a guest ask for fresh towels every other day๐Ÿคท๐Ÿฝโ€โ™‚๏ธ

Charla16
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Towelsโ€”how many to provide. Iโ€™ve had a guest ask for fresh towels every other day๐Ÿคท๐Ÿฝโ€โ™‚๏ธ

Towelsโ€”how many to provide. Iโ€™ve had a guest ask for fresh towels every other day๐Ÿคท๐Ÿฝโ€

11 Replies 11

@Charla16 

Good question! 

I leave 2 sets of towels per person on the racks for a 2 night stay, and a cabinet in the bathroom has another dozen sets, along with more bath mats, extra toilet paper and facial tissue. Our guests can use whatever pleases them. 

Thank you Kitty.

Martin3344
Level 7
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

@Charla16 

I provide a bath towel and a hand towel per person for a short stay, and an extra set for a long stay. If specifically requested I would of course provide more. However for a self catering stay, with a washing machine available, I would not be impressed by such a request !

I learned a hard lesson by leaving so many extra sets of towels (and other supplies).

A guest (2 adults) booked a 2-night stay...and used more towels than you could imagine but the shocking discovery was that they took 24 rolls of toilet paper, 16 rolls of kitchen paper towels, my spare large bottle of liquid dish soap, a brand new bottle of laundry detergent...and they emptied the contents from by countertop built-in dispenser that I had just refilled with lemon scented handsoap.

I now leave only the minimum, and no longer accept 2-night bookings.

Fool me once... ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

@Deb216 

So sad that this happened to you! I've never yet lost anything at all, or had less than incredible respect from guests. All I can conclude from this story is that the folks were in real need of these things, or they'd never stayed anywhere else besides a motel that expected pilferage. I love 2 night stays. They are just long enough for the guests to get refreshed and relaxed before going back to work to keep the world we depend on spinning as it should.  

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Charla16 For us it is one towel each and more if they ask. For both environmental and cost reasons anymore is excessive.  Yes you may/will get the odd guest wanting more but do not set your expectations by the actions of an outlier.

We have also developed a 3 strikes rule. Unless an extra amenity is requested 3 times we don't take action. Clearly exceptions made for things we have forgotten!

Joelle43
Level 10
Cannes, France

Hello @Charla16 

Is this person new on Airbnb?  Sounds more like someone used to staying in a hotel rather than a STR and definitely not environmentally friendly.  

I offer a big towel and a smaller one per person per stay.

@Charla16. Sounds like they dont like doing the laundry. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Its one towel and facecloth per person, one hand towel per three and two bath mats and I usually leave an extra towel. But its BYO beach towels and I otherwise only change them out weekly.

As you have both a washer and dryer listed at each place a reasonable guest would just use these if needed (so supply laundry liquid satchels). Its a house rental, not a hotel room as mentioned here by others. Plenty of options to dry them out in the sunshine and more eco friendly (I would tell guest if I got this request).

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Charla16   You are NOT a hotel.  Your guest needs to have realistic expectations.  If the guest is staying for more than a few days, 2 sets of towels (bath sheet, bath towel, hand towel and washcloth) per guest is MORE than enough.  I would advise the guest to make use of the laundry if she needs clean towels.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

We provide two towel sets per guest (face, hand and bath), and two black makeup towels per stay.  All of our spaces have washing machines.  Guests are informed in the listing description, greeting message and house rules that they are responsible for cleaning up after themselves during their stay.  We haven't yet had guests ask for additional towels, but we would do so for an additional fee, because the assumption is that they are not going to clean them and there will be extra dirty laundry generated during their stay.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Charla16  the issue is not really how many towels but the guests sense of entitlement, to endless towels . Provide a hook on the back of the door and tell the guest that two towels are provided per stay but if the stay is longer than three days or four days then linen changeover and extra towels are providede then . Also mention that usually guests who require more towel are generally encouraged to bring a few from home or 'heaven forbid ' purchase extras... H