Unauthorized pet

Answered!

Unauthorized pet

Things are going great with my AirBnb. I just started in Feb. and had two bookings. My third guest has brought a dog. I have a no-pets policy listed on the rules portion of the website. I have a Ring doorbell and saw the dog come out of the house ( I took pictures). So how do I handle it? I don't have a "real" problem per se but I want to charge a pet fee of $150 or $200 because now I will have to have the carpet cleaned upon their exit. How do I handle it? Also, let me add, she just "re" booked for the month of April!! What do you suggest? How do I collect this fee?

1 Best Answer
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Felicia222   If the guest is currently in residence, you can contact her and let her know that she has brought an unauthorized pet -- use that wording because she will probably claim that the dog is a Service Animal or an ESA.  An unauthorized pet is a pet that was brought without your knowledge and consent.  You can ask for payment via the Resolution Center for the cleaning necessary after an unauthorized animal.  You will be risking a bad review, so decide if this is worthwhile.

You say that the guest has rebooked for the month of April.  Let her know that your long-term rental cleaning fee (NOT a pet cleaning fee) will now include a mid-rental cleaning at X dollars.  Let her know that if she brings the pet again, a rug cleaning will also be necessary at the end of her visit.  IMO, any host who offers their property for long-term rentals should require a mid-rental or extra cleanings, especially when animals are involved. 

Obviously I am annoyed by the numerous persons who bring their animals into our properties without our knowledge and consent.  I allow pets, but I have to know your animal is coming so that I can arrange the extra cleaning time needed for the fur everywhere, the feces and the laundry (because of how many of these animals sleep with their owners -- ugh).  

For the future, put the fact that you do not allow pets in the FIRST paragraph of your listing description, not hidden in the Rules.  On another platform, a host posted a picture of a menagerie of animals with the NO symbol photoshopped on top.  

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Felicia222   If the guest is currently in residence, you can contact her and let her know that she has brought an unauthorized pet -- use that wording because she will probably claim that the dog is a Service Animal or an ESA.  An unauthorized pet is a pet that was brought without your knowledge and consent.  You can ask for payment via the Resolution Center for the cleaning necessary after an unauthorized animal.  You will be risking a bad review, so decide if this is worthwhile.

You say that the guest has rebooked for the month of April.  Let her know that your long-term rental cleaning fee (NOT a pet cleaning fee) will now include a mid-rental cleaning at X dollars.  Let her know that if she brings the pet again, a rug cleaning will also be necessary at the end of her visit.  IMO, any host who offers their property for long-term rentals should require a mid-rental or extra cleanings, especially when animals are involved. 

Obviously I am annoyed by the numerous persons who bring their animals into our properties without our knowledge and consent.  I allow pets, but I have to know your animal is coming so that I can arrange the extra cleaning time needed for the fur everywhere, the feces and the laundry (because of how many of these animals sleep with their owners -- ugh).  

For the future, put the fact that you do not allow pets in the FIRST paragraph of your listing description, not hidden in the Rules.  On another platform, a host posted a picture of a menagerie of animals with the NO symbol photoshopped on top.  

Thank you. I followed your advice. 

How did it go? @Felicia222