We're not in ANY country... can't make a listing... GAH!!!

Richard362
Level 2
Charlotte, NC

We're not in ANY country... can't make a listing... GAH!!!

Our unique location is the Frying Pan Tower (fptower.org) and has been accepting guests since 2012 with hundreds staying over the years in a very unique location, dubbed by the news as "The Most Dangerous Hotel in the World"... 

But because we are located outside all countries literally planted in the Atlantic ocean, Airbnb can't seem to help us create our listing. This is where the Frying Pan Tower is actually located: 

8754FCM8+8M (a Google Plus code)   or   33°29′N 77°35′W (latitude / longitude)

The problem with using an incorrect USA based address is:

1. Totally confusing to show a land-based location, when we are a light station surrounded 360° by the ocean.

2. Am positive that Airbnb will charge regular land-based hotel taxes, even though our location is not taxable.

Am about to give up on Airbnb. They could have a great addition to their listings if they could figure out how to accommodate our unique place.

Help!

Richard

2 Replies 2
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Richard362  I'm assuming you don't live there, the hotel doesn't have a postal address, and you've never collected occupancy tax or paid it to any state.  If you don't have or don't want to use a postal address, yes, I think you're out of luck.  If the hotel has a postal address, just use that, explain it to guests, and let Airbnb collect whatever tax is required by the state of location.  You won't have anything to do with the taxes if it's one of the locations where they collect it for you.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Richard362   After looking the Frying Pan Tower up on the internet, I don't believe that AirBnB would be your best bet for bookings.  You are very unique, expensive to get to, and an experience that would be enjoyed by a very particular group of individuals (my brother-in-law would probably kill to rent it!)  Stick with the advertisers that offer super special properties; you will get better guests and more bookings.  

P.S.  If you do list it with a North Carolina address, your guests will pay upwards to 15% in state, county and municipal taxes as associated with the provided address; AirBnB will not concern itself with the legality of whether they should have collected them or not.