What are your top 3 most crucial House Rules?

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

What are your top 3 most crucial House Rules?

PJMPHOTO18Q326_TR5DM3_182.jpg

Hello All,

It is quite well known that House Rules are important for a number of reasons in the context of hosting guests. Having detailed House Rules enables one to set clear expectations for guests’ behaviour and make them aware of their responsibilities during the stay.

House Rules can also help to communicate prompt directions for Guests (in case they face any difficulties) and create a positive visiting experience. House rules might also include things like quiet hours, cleaning requirements and rules around smoking or pets. This way, House rules can also provide protection for the host in case of any issues with guests.

However, as a new Host, it can often be confusing to what House Rules to include in the listing. Wouldn’t it be great to have a conversation about it?

So, What are your Top 3 essential House Rules that you make sure the guests abide by? Let me know in the comments below!

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Bhumika
Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

38 Replies 38
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

That sounds superb!

Indeed @Fred13, you are making sure that your guests are having a comfortable and memorable staycation this way. Brilliant!! 🙌

-----

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Bhumika   Assuming that the No Parties, No smoking and No Commercial Filming are going to be met, and that animals will be registered, my house rules are:

1.  No more than 4 persons, including children of any age.  2 daytime visitors only.

2.  The guest agrees to pay for any and all damages to the property caused by the guest, their animals or the guests of the guest (see #1).

3.  No refunds for unfavorable weather, interruption to utilities by weather or (unreported) minor maintenance problems.

Very few people have ignored my occupancy limits, although there have been a few "free" babies.  I have nearly given up on my Pet Fee -- everyone seems to have a service animal.

Number 2 is next to impossible to enforce now that we have no damage or security deposit, but I still try to cause my guests to have some respect for my property and their pocketbook.

Number 3 is because we live in the mountains, and a tree falling during a storm will inevitably take out services for a period of time.  Rarely has this been for more than a few hours, but guests need to recognize that this is something that is out of our hands and NOT refundable.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Lorna170 ,

I like how you have mentioned your refund policies so clearly, especially given the location of your stay.  Such discreet rules are helpful to set a clear process for guest communication, in case a guest fails to communicate or report their issues to you! Indeed a clever one.🙌 

Glad to hear that you have had few people who have ignored your occupancy limits. But in cases where this might have been overlooked by a guest, how did you manage to convey it to them?

-----

@Bhumika  Overlooked by the guest is a very kind way of stating that they ignored the posted occupancy limits.

We try to be flexible and accommodating, but we make it clear when the guest calls asking for additional towels, sheets to make up the couch, a bed on the floor or another crib in addition to the Pack N Play provided that the cabin is licensed for 4 human beings of all sizes (and 2 dogs) and that they may wish to reconsider staying.  The extra persons usually apologize and leave.

I have nearly given up on my Pet Fee -- everyone seems to have a service animal.

@Lorna170  yikes! I do hope that trend stays in the USA and doesn't filter down elsewhere. 

But of course we are still waiting for the option to charge per pet, per night....

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Speaking of house rules, I want to say that hiding the house rules at the bottom of the page is a HUGE mistake.

I guess the idea was for the guest to book as soon as possible and "don't waste time on unnecessary nonsense".

However, in practice it is exactly the opposite.

- When the guest immediately reads everything and tells me all the necessary information, we exchange 2 messages. TWO!
- If a guest does not read the house rules, it always prolongs our correspondence and wastes our time. (The record was 30 exchanged messages with a guest who persistently refused to find and read the house rules.)
- In at least 50% of cases, I have to reject the reservation requests because the guest does not read and respond to me within the given time.

Guests who make instant bookings before reading house rules often want to cancel their reservations afterwards, and if they don't cancel, they are unhappy because they didn't get what they ASSUMED they would get when they booked.

House rules are very important and should be published on a prominent place.

Everything written is the result of some previous bad experience, damage or problem and an attempt to avoid repeating it in the future.

Only someone who has never hosted would think that house rules are unnecessary.

That's all from me, thanks for your attention

Hi @Branka-and-Silvia0 ,

Thank you for sharing your insights and also giving valuable product feedback on this. Please feel free to put your directly for Airbnb through the Feedback Form as well!

Indeed, it is important for the guests to be aware of the house rules before they make a booking so that everyone is aware of their responsibilities and expectations.

-----

Fiona243
Level 10
Birkenhead, United Kingdom

Dear Bhumika, your question is worded incorrectly. What you should be asking hosts is: "What are your Top 3 Essential House Rules" that you want Airbnb to make sure that guests abide by?"

Hosts are typically not in a position to make guests abide by rules.

Guest smoking in the bedroom?

Guest eating smelly food in the bedroom and leaving greasy stains on bedding and upholstery?

Guest brings additional people / pets who are not paid for?

Guest blocking the bathroom sink with food, blocking toilet with wet wipes, etc?

Guest breaking shower, burning tabletop, causing other damage?

Guests having rowdy drunken party in their room, keeping us and other guests awake.

I've had all these things happen due to Airbnb guests, and was: a) unable to stop these things hapening, even though these are expressly forbidden by my house rules, and b) unable to get fair compensation from the guest or Airbnb.

For example in the case of the guest who brought an additional person, I never received a payment from the guest, nor did I receive any compensation from airbnb.

In the case of the guests who broke my shower, guests refused to pay and I received no compensation from airbnb.

In the case of the drug addict guest who left the room so filthy and stinky that I had to clean not just the bedding but the duvet, pillows, mattress and pillow protectors, sofa upholstery and curtains. The guest refused to pay and Airbnb gave me the princely sum of £30 as a "goodwill" gesture to compensate for all the additional cleaning, even though I provided evidence of commercial cleaning costs. Airbnb CS told me that because I had gone ahead and got the items cleaned before getting Airbnb's OK, I was not covered.

What Airbnb need to do is this:

1) Let each host identify their top 3 rules for each of their listings.

2) When a guest wants to make a reservation, BEFORE the reservation is confirmed, show the guest those top 3 rules, and get them to explicitly agree to them.

3) Implicit rules such as max. number of guests, ages of guests, no pets, no parties, no smoking, etc. must also be explicitly agreed to by the guest.

4) Only if the guest agrees to the implicit rules and the host's top 3 rules, can the reservation be confirmed.

5) Lastly, Airbnb needs to support hosts when guests break these rules.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Fiona243

It can be definitely frustrating if visitors disregard the house rules.

Your idea of letting hosts specify their Top 3 House Rules definitely sounds interesting. Appreciate you for sharing your experiences and concerns in such a detailed manner!

-----

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Thank you @Bhumika @Fiona243 @Lorna170 @Branka-and-Silvia0 @Gillian166 
Numero Uno -

No Discrimination - I've lived with discrimination from people outside of my home life when I hosted English Language School students and spoke up at the time to get it addressed by the appropriate authorities as I was subjected to horrid comments aimed at my Guests who I chose to share my home and live with others including those of colour and who didn't speak English and who needing protecting from such unacceptable behaviour.

Oddly I was also subjected to it in my last home by horrible neighbours who didn't like my ABB Visitors of all nationalities I welcome in my home.

I grew up and have Maori family.

No Vaping Smoking etc

Respect

It looks so helpful so far. Thanks a lot for sharing. 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Helen427 ,

Thank you so much for putting in your thoughts! It is really great to see that you are so understanding and open-minded in your approach.

Kudos to you for standing up to protect your guests!🙌

-----

Helen0
Level 10
Manchester, United Kingdom

What's in each property's house rules is less important than a requirement for the guests to read them and agree to them in some form BEFORE they book. I am beyond tired of having to explain basic house rules to people who clearly haven't even bothered to read the listing, let alone any other information on the website. I wish they had to click something, or sign something, to acknowledge that they accept the house rules. Yes, I know they still wouldn't read them properly, but at least I wouldn't have to endure complaints that they didn't know my boundaries when they are trying to overstep them, e.g. trying to sneak in someone extra in without telling me!

My pet peeve in my own home is that so many guests don't even realise or stop to think that it is MY HOME. Not a hotel, not a dorm room, but where I live. I offer comfortable bed-and-breakfast, at a much cheaper rate than they would have to pay in a self-contained property. And then they act surprised that I have house rules such as no cooking in my kitchen. I have come home 'unexpectedly' so many times and caught people flouting that one because they thought I wouldn't notice! Not to mention all the ruined knives and pans...

I have also declined several booking requests for 'romantic' getaways, often from long-distance partners. I live here! I don't want you canoodling all over my house all weekend, thank you.

I blame Airbnb's advertising for this. No, they don't get to "live" in my home as if it were theirs - and it's not fair to push this idea out without hosts' consent. Airbnb was founded as a home-sharing service! 

Of course they can cook and get up to whatever floats their boat in a self-contained property and I manage one of these too. The biggest pain with that one are the people who can't follow straightforward instructions about recycling. Since the Council won't empty contaminated bins, I get the delightful job of having to sort through their disgusting rubbish to retrieve glass etc from the thrown-out food and bathroom waste! 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Helen0 ,

It is understandable that it can be challenging to manage a few guests and ensure that they are following all the house rules. Really appreciate you for sharing such honest feedback.

I like how just like @Branka-and-Silvia0, you have mentioned many suggestions that can make sure a guest reads those rules.

If you would like to add more to these suggestions, you can also fill in your feedback for the Airbnb team to review via the Feedback Form as well!

-----

Helen0
Level 10
Manchester, United Kingdom

Oh I've been giving that exact feedback for ten years. Airbnb just ignores it! 

I have no less than 4 colour-coded bins in the house with laminated pictures stuck onto them of what can and can't go in each one. None of it works.