What are your top 3 most crucial House Rules?

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

What are your top 3 most crucial House Rules?

PJMPHOTO18Q326_TR5DM3_182.jpg

Hello All,

It is quite well known that House Rules are important for a number of reasons in the context of hosting guests. Having detailed House Rules enables one to set clear expectations for guests’ behaviour and make them aware of their responsibilities during the stay.

House Rules can also help to communicate prompt directions for Guests (in case they face any difficulties) and create a positive visiting experience. House rules might also include things like quiet hours, cleaning requirements and rules around smoking or pets. This way, House rules can also provide protection for the host in case of any issues with guests.

However, as a new Host, it can often be confusing to what House Rules to include in the listing. Wouldn’t it be great to have a conversation about it?

So, What are your Top 3 essential House Rules that you make sure the guests abide by? Let me know in the comments below!

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Bhumika
Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

38 Replies 38
Ana2038
Level 10
Santa Ana, CA

@Bhumika ,

1.  No smoking/drugs

2. Quiet hours 10 pm. - 6 pm

3. Only registered guest allowed on property/ listing unit

These would probably be my top three. 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @Ana2038 @Rick4645 ,

It is great to see how clear and direct you are in communicating your Guest expectations.

I think it would be interesting to know if you had any previous experience with guests breaking these rules, and how did you handle them?

-----

@Bhumika , I did have 1 guest break my rules, no smoking rule, but I couldn't prove it. I detected marijuana odors coming through to my garage (guesthouse shares one wall with our garage). I did reach out to the guest inquiring about the smell (I didn't bring up that it smelled like marijuana). Guest replied that he burnt popcorn in the microwave and apologized.  I gave him the benefit of the doubt until I saw him lighting up outside of the unit at 12 a.m. in the morning.  He checked out the following day and even though he left the unit clean, it reeked of marijuana.  I was able to air out unit in time for my next guest. My review (stars) reflected the violation and I indicated that I would not host him again.

The other guest, years ago, checked in with his "wife," had good reviews etc...but ended up being a nightmare.  It appears his "wife" had several male visitors while her husband was gone (he allegedly had to leave on a business trip). I honestly don't think they were married and they were  booking Airbnb's to turn "tricks."  I reported the guest(s)  to Airbnb and Airbnb put me on notice that I was the one who was in violation (security cameras not disclosed but the cameras are on my primary residence not on the  Airbnb listing). It was the cameras that showed different male visitors walking past my primary residence to get to the guesthouse. 

Yes, I reported this to police but unless I had proof she was engaging in prostitution,  there wasn't much they could do.  

I  stripped the room and tossed out all bedding, linens, towels etc...purchased a new mattress. 

Airbnb eventually suspended their account after they conducted their investigation.  I was astonished that they were considering suspending our listing due to the security cameras but again, as I explained to Airbnb, the security cameras are on our primary residence not the Airbnb listing.

Based on this experience, we will no longer allow unregistered guest on our property and any visitors must be cleared prior to scheduled visits.  

No smoking/dipping/420/drugs anywhere on the property, inside or out.
No unregistered guests
No animals due to allergies.

have any with so called companion animals give you fits and wonder if the lady who cleans and has severe allergies would be a good reason she gets shots ever week.

Trude0
Level 10
Stockholm County, Sweden

As my guest house is a tinyhouse, in my garden, in a suburb, and I am always home when I host, the risk of someone trying to sneak in lots of extra people for a crack party, is fairly low…

I think my top 3 house rules would be: 

- Don’t flush anything except toilet paper (sensitive plumbing)

- Follow instructions on ventilation, and no drying laundry inside the house (house sensitive to humid indoor climate) 

- No smoking inside the house (but feel free to smoke in the garden)

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @Trude0 ,

You have put a lot of thought into making sure guests understand a few things about your listing beforehand. Your listing is an absolute stunner!!

Would you like to share a bit more about the ventilation instructions and why it's important to follow them? It is intriguing and pretty rare to have it in House rules.

It is great that you have designated a smoking area!! I am sure guests would be relieved to see it. Despite these instructions, have you found any guests who would have taken it for granted in the past, and smoked in the house?

-----

Trude0
Level 10
Stockholm County, Sweden

Thanks for the compliment @Bhumika. 😄

Ventilation:

The guest house is very small. It is winter in Sweden, so no windows and doors are open. If 2 people stay, shower, cook etc, and don’t make sure windows are in ”ventilation position”, if they turn off the fan in the bathroom, don’t use the cooker hood and the A/C, the air in the house will quickly become too humid. Not to mention if they have laundry to dry… 😱 Which is not good for the house - can lead to mold developing etc. (This has unfortunately happened once, with Airbnb guests.  This family completely ignored all the instructions for a whole week.)

Smoking:

No, I don’t think anyone has ever smoked in the house. 😄 Actually, I think very few of my guests have smoked in the garden, either. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

My three (3) are:

1. Please make sure your reservation includes all that are indeed coming.

2. Please make sure everyone invited has read the description of the listing.

3. Let us know your itinerary before arrival so we can help you with logistics.

--------------

What I would love to say is: 🙂

1. Don't try to be slick and sneak in extra person that haven't paid.

2. If expecting to be catered to you are coming to the wrong place.

3. Since is not a resort with a pool, mindless 'Fabios' and 'Bimbos' of the world will definitely not fit our listing.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @Fred13 ,

It'd be interesting to hear what kind of logistics assistance you offer to your upcoming guests if they share their itinerary. 

I'm sure there are a lot of activities that can be done around Bird Island for the guests. Hence, curious if you offer any helpful guides on how to make the most of your listing or share local retreats with them as well.

-----

Logistics: We put ourselves in a visitor's place (aka guest) arriving in a foreign country without a clue: not knowing the transportation drill, where things are, what equipment to bring, where to food shop, how much to buy, etc.  So, today we:

1. Have someone meet them at International airport, usher them through custom and on to jumper plane.

2. Pick them up at the local airport.

3. Bring to our office/tour shop and get outfitted, no need to bring equipment.

4. Walk them through food shopping (the cook does whether they hired her or not).

5. Run them round town and take them to the boat in a cool new gulf car.

Once at island: The objective is to keep them even busier with a lot to do. We want them self-contained and self-amused, and then we rarely hear from them during their stay. So this year we changed/added the following:

1. Doubled size of the island; now many new areas for lawn games and activities.

2. Created a sandy beach, the sound of the surf alone has been a big hit.

3. Changed all water shower heaters to electric; showers now are a joy.

4. Since they use more water as a result, doubled water capacity.

5. Replaced all outdoor furniture (wood, non-rusting).

6. Added paddle boards and a fishing boat.

7. Added 16 lobster 'shades', now they find their own anytime.

8. Now provide the best fishing equipment (small charge, but now there).

9. Blue tooth now throughout entire island and colorful mood lightning.

10. New whisper-quiet power generator, now they can run whatever.

We are done with costly improvements, I swear. Till next year. 🙂

Patti-And-Marty0
Level 10
East Fremantle, Australia

I want to go to Bird Island! Sounds amazing. You sure take care of your guests. 

Today the departing guests (4 older couples, business people) and yet this is what they wrote on the island's board. They left light-hearted, this we like to see.  🙂

IMG_20230203_130006195b.jpg

Which encourages us to try harder.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Nice one @Fred13, this is so encouraging and such a nice gesture from your guests!

-----