What is the average amount of bookings per Airbnb guest?

Lauren3495
Level 2
Scottsdale, AZ

What is the average amount of bookings per Airbnb guest?

Hello!

Currently I’m hosting an Airbnb that is set to only allow guests with three or more stays to book my Airbnb.  What is the average amount of stays per Airbnb guest? 
Any insight if this is a good strategy or not?

Thanks! 

15 Replies 15
Andrea-and-Glenn0
Level 10
Mill Bay, Canada

@Lauren3495  That is a beautiful listing you are offering and I can certainly understand wanting to fully prescreen as fully as possible, however you may be missing out on perfectly great guests like myself and Andrea since we are AirBnb Hosts, but have only been AirBnb Guests twice, and by default I would not qualify under your current rules. 

As a potential guest, I would reach out to you by messaging you on the AirBnb platform and ask you to reconsider. 

Also, because yiy have it setup this way, I was unable to even try and add dates to determine if your AirBnb would be something within our budget. 

We currently require our guests to have at least 1 AirBnb experience with a  5 star rating. 

Regards/Glenn

PS, could you please private message me the cost for 1 month? Thanks. 

@Lauren3495  As a follow up, I went to the bottom of your listing and attempted to hit the “contact host” button to send you a message and it was inactivated preventing me from even contacting you to inquire. 

You may want to rethink your strategy, you might be missing great potential clients/guests like myself. 

Cheers/Glenn

This is so helpful as I didn't realize contacting host was inactivated...not my intention.  New on airbnb so fixing it now, thanks! 

@Lauren3495 

It appears you have settings that I don't have. Can you tell me exactly where you find the setting to Contact host or not, and also the 3 day stay requirement? Thanks!

Hi there.  Contact host tab is at the bottom of the listing, but I've got a call in as mine is not activated so people are having trouble contacting me. The three day stay may be a newer option based upon community feedback.  It was an option in my initial set-up, but can't remember exactly where it was...sorry. 

Thanks for your valuable input.  You bring up some good points. I will plan to change settings and will reach out to your shortly per your message. Your airbnb looks lovely! 

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Lauren3495  tricky question to answer, because if ABB is onboarding new guests all the time that is going to keep bringing the average down. I kept some records myself for 3 months and about 30% of my guests were total newbies. this is the type of data that ABB is surely collecting, and could share with us hosts.  🙏🏻

Every hosting situation is different, I live in a wine region just 40mins from a capital city, so I get a lot of locals, and plenty are new to the platform. I don't discriminate against newbies (although I have some red flags for some other reasons)

Thanks for your input! Good advice!

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Lauren3495 

Dont make it difficult for guest to book, I looked at that and thats not a good idea, 

Patti-And-Marty0
Level 10
East Fremantle, Australia

@Lauren3495 

I'm curious, where did you find this setting to require 3 stays? Thanks.

@Patti-And-Marty0 

I think this must be a new setting. Another host mentioned it recently too, only on her listing, it was turned on when she didn't want it to be and she couldn't seem to get Airbnb to fix the problem...

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Lauren3495 we have had lots of fabulous. guests who are new to the platform. If they are local we do make sure we know why they are coming but that is pretty much all the vetting we do.

Good advice, thanks! 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lauren3495 

I have no idea what is the average but, like others here, I have hosted many newbies and most have been great, while my least favourite guests of all time had 25 reviews and a 5* rating. So, even when guests have several reviews, I wouldn't rely on this alone as a screening process.

Also, bear in mind that you can't see how many stays a guest has completed, only how many reviews have been left for them, which is not always the same thing. Some guests have stayed at airbnbs but someone else in the group booked it (I find most guests do not bother to use the 'named guest' feature and add the names of others in their party when booking). Some hosts don't bother leaving reviews, even if everything was fine.