Where is the "infants allowed" setting?

Answered!
Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

Where is the "infants allowed" setting?

I can't find where the setting is to toggle infants allowed on/off. can someone please help me find it? 

1 Best Answer
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Gillian166 

There is an "Unsuitable for infants under 2" setting in section "guest safety" (menu "listing details")

Emiel1_0-1668901539996.png

View Best Answer in original post

15 Replies 15
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Gillian166 

There is an "Unsuitable for infants under 2" setting in section "guest safety" (menu "listing details")

Emiel1_0-1668901539996.png

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Emiel1  thank you! i thought there was another place we put "no kids", that seems to be hidden very well! 

Screenshot 2022-11-23 at 18-18-45 APPARTEMENT CENTRE HISTORIQUE - ZONE PIÉTONNE - Appartements à louer à Séville Andalousie Espagne.png

@Gillian166I had the case yesterday, a guest arrived with a baby when in the reservation it was not specified and in my ad, I specify that the children and baby are not appropriate for the apartment.

I phone to CS and they told me that if I wanted I could cancel the reservation because the guest had not added the baby to the reservation.

In my ad even if I do not accept children and babies people can reserve up to 5 babies!! and 1 child. it is just crazy

@Adriano78 wrote:

I phone to CS and they told me that if I wanted I could cancel the reservation because the guest had not added the baby to the reservation.

What kind of monsters suggest you kick out some parents with a small baby?! Honestly, what kind of business, what kind of training is going on? If people turn up with a baby, it's annoying but it's not the end of the world for us hosts, there's no reason to kick someone out and leave them stranded.... with a baby. They've got enough stresses. I know, the guests are in the wrong, but punishing them by kicking them out makes the host a bad person too. perhaps that's an unpopular opinion. 

ofc these situations wouldn't happen if ABB would let us stipulate "no kids" before a booking happens, and they actually enforced it. 

@Gillian166 

I think I should be the judge on whether I think my condo is safe for infants or children, not airbnb.

It always worried me when we rented our villas they all have pools we hope parents will act responsible I know my husband would always ask them can the kids swim, He would tell them to keep their eye on them, 

It should be in my settings "Not Allowed" not just not suitable, although I do give the reasons why,

I declined a booking recently and got a load of abuse because of a infant, Im doing it because I am concerned about the safety of YOUR infant, It seems you are not.

@Sudsrung0  and if they get abusive like that, you 100% don't want them.  

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sudsrung0 

I totally agree. 

If you owned an amusement park and you specified that certain rides were not suitable for children under 14, for example, that doesn't mean it's an optional rule. It doesn't mean that a parent can decide at their discretion whether they are going to put a toddler on that ride. It means NO KIDS UNDER 14. Are we now going to accuse the amusement park of being discriminatory? The whole idea is ludicrous.

The day that Airbnb tries to force me to host families with infants is the day I delist.

Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

The setting has been moved indeed on some systems (not on all).

It makes more sense to have it in the security section, than (before) in the house rules.

@Till-and-Jutta0 

respectfully disagree.

This should be with  "number of guests allowed" so we could specify Adults, Children and Infant maximums,  but instead the hosting of infants is in the section with firearms, cameras and smoke alarms. Little kids can be a pain, but I don't think that's where they belong!! 😅

even Pets is easier to find. 

it is hidden now. 

also, it's irrelevant, because I can put in 2A 1C into search and my non-kid listing still shows up. 

Till-and-Jutta0
Stuttgart, Germany

@Gillian166 , a non-kids-rule never existed. This setting is to let guests know, that the accommodation might not be suitable for kids/infants simply due to safety reasons. For nothing else. I guess that’s the reason why Airbnb has moved it to the safety section.

Airbnb does not allow any discrimination of guests due to the age. If there are safety concerns about hosting kids/infants, you should specify that clearly in the description.

I personally agree however, that the fact that infants don’t count in the total number of guests might cause confusion. As a consequence, I state the maximum number of guests at our place clearly, including infants.

@Till-and-Jutta0  but that's irrelevant. because a guest can still book my place, for 2 adults, and bring an infant, foc, even though there might not be room for a portacot (in our case there is, and we have one to offer). in fact, i've had a guest turn up with a baby in their arms, that they didn't tell me about. The search does not include infants, so I don't understand what you mean. they don't count towards the total body count. 

example, I put in 2A 1i

Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 10.54.53 pm.png

my listing shows up (first, yay) but I don't allow kids....
and look at how the search shows my search, infants don't count. 

Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 10.55.05 pm.png

 it just reads "2 guests"

btw I do appreciate you posting here, a working host, and HAB member. 

where do you state the total number of guests including infants?  there's not a place to have that distinction. 

just today a host was complaining about a booking request, because she allows 10 guests, but only 6 adults. however, there is no way to make that distinction, so in search she is going to run into a lot of trouble. No way to help her out of that situation, is there? 

Till-and-Jutta0
Stuttgart, Germany

where do you state the total number of guests including infants

In my listing description, and in the house rules.

Sorry, I see no other way, @Gillian166 

IMHO you can limit the total number of guests by this - but Airbnb has no "infants allowed" setting.

Sorry, I see no other way, @Gillian166 

@Till-and-Jutta0  this is the point of this discussion, there should be a better way for those who can't have infants to block that option. This will surely avoid disappointment from guests who aren't aware they have to read further info, buried at the bottom of the page, and via another click, that we don't allow infants. 

Moving "infants not allowed" into the category about weapons and smoke alarms is not logical. 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Reading your chat I can see both sides. Airbnb 100% fosters the spirit that anyone can belong. Personally,  as a mother with a young child myself, I prefer to book a place that Host feels confident is suitable for a toddler or not. The clearer that is made, the easier it is for me to book!

Super valuable feedback and I appreciate how you both debated it in a respectful and thoughtful way.

Thanks,

Steph

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines