Would you ever give a refund that is not due or deserved, in the interest of goodwill?

Linda3345
Level 10
Corning, NY

Would you ever give a refund that is not due or deserved, in the interest of goodwill?

I've been hosting very successfully for 7 months now, and we finally had our first unhappy guests. 

They asked for early check-in, which I accommodated, but then it was nearly the regular check-in time before they arrived. 

They let me know on the day of check-in exactly how many people were coming, and added an extra dog to the one dog expected. 

Shortly after they checked-in, they started asking how to get ESPN to watch a specific sports game that evening. Our listing clearly says that we have a FireStick, Netflix, and an antenna for local channels. (No cable with ESPN).

They went out and got food, then returned to the house, where we met them in person. 

They communicated that they had one more idea to try to get their sports game through the FireStick. 

After they had been in the house awhile, they apparently left very quietly. We live downstairs, and heard or saw nothing. 

They sent me a text only after they had all left, saying they had to leave because one person had an asthma attack, which they attributed to previous pets staying in the AirBnb, as this person is not allergic to their own labradoodles, but to most cats and dogs. 

They asked for a partial refund. 

Then they cancelled the reservation. I have a Firm Cancellation policy, so by those rules, no refund is due. It is also Easter holiday weekend, and I am booked every weekend, holiday or not. 

I have not yet responded to their request. 

I am considering refunding one night of their 3-night stay, in the interest of goodwill. I do realize I am not at all obligated, and I will let them know that, if I do give a partial refund. 

So, what say you, Fellow Hosts?  Should I hold firm to my Firm cancellation policy, realizing it is a business deal?  Or give them a partial refund, because I like to make people happy? 

Thank you,

Linda

p.s. I do plan to write an honest review, and post it at the last minute of the 14-day review period. 

12 Replies 12
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Linda3345 A refund of 1 night will not stop them leaving you a bad review. Better to keep your money and take the hit of the bad review. You could refund 100% but a) why should you and b) it will not necessarily stop a bad review.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

Why would you want to please people who did nothing to deserve your goodwill? None of their issues are valid, and the way they acted was shady. As mentioned already, granting their request will do nothing to prevent a negative review from them. If you do wish to be ‘nice’ and grant some amount back, you might play this strategically. Advise them them their refund will come to them ‘within two weeks time’. That could of course end up being a day or so beyond the review period. Their refund may then end up ‘lost in the system’, just as it happens often to host payouts, depending on what kind of review they leave you, if any. Just saying. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Linda3345 

No. They booked a pet-friendly Airbnb. That is a risk that they took. And they didn't give you any chance to address the problem or even let you know there was a problem until the thought of a refund was on the table.

P.s. I don't think I have ever had an early check-in request that actually showed up when they said they would. Now, when someone asks to check in early I tell them that the guaranteed check-in time is 3 pm but I can send them a message when the apartment is ready. Everyone is pleasantly surprised when I send them the message 2 hours before 3 pm and I don't compromise my own schedule with wasted promises.

Louise1073
Level 6
San Diego, CA

The asthma attack thing may have been in bad faith. They may just have not liked your listing. Unfortunately you can’t disprove it so have to take people at their word.

If you can afford it, I would go beyond what they ask for and issue a refund for full amount, minus cleaning costs. Making your guest feel like they were treated more than fairly and that you took their problems to heart. This is what turns a bad or medium review, into a glowing 5* review. Turning a bad guest experience around to a positive one is the biggest win, in my opinion. Plus, your 1st bad experience in 7 months sounds like good going overall!

Good luck and let us know how it ends!

Unfortunately I wouldn't trust that people are that friendly or would appreciate the gesture to give a then glowing review but I would love to live in the world you do! 🙂

In my defense, I am only ABB-hosting since March (after several years in service industry).

Let's talk again in a year. I may be singing a different tune :')

Unfortunately I've had a somewhat similar thing occur except my guest cancelled her booking 3 hours before arriving after her and her mother from separate accounts harassed me for 3 days to cancel their booking I have a strict cancellation policy if I got somebody else in I would have happily refunded their entire money but you to last-minute cancellation I was unable to get anyone else in.

She told Airbnb support that she doesn't feel comfortable staying at our location and was given a full refund and I am out of pocket.

Sorry to hear you are going through this I am following this thread

Laura, did AirBnb really overrule your cancellation policy? Wow. I find that rather shocking. I'm sorry that happened to you. 

Linda3345
Level 10
Corning, NY

Final resolution from the Original Poster:  Today I received a message from a Customer Support person, who had been contacted by our guests. That message actually inquired if I would give a full refund, for the 3-night weekend.  I explained the situation from my viewpoint, and decided to give a one-night refund, even though I technically did not need to do so. I gave the refund, not because I think it will keep guests from writing a bad review, but just to spread a little goodwill in the world.  I feel I have done what I could. Thank you to those who gave insight. 

Good on you. Hope that is that last of it!

Linda3345
Level 10
Corning, NY

And now how do I close this conversation?

@Linda3345 threads can't be closed they just head to the bottom of the pile over time. Anyway after your generous gesture to the guest (and you having kindly let us know what you are doing) I would love you to let us know what review they leave for you. Hopefully they will match your generosity.