hosting while traveling abroad in Africa

Kristie59
Level 2
Orchard Park, NY

hosting while traveling abroad in Africa

Does anyone have any experiece with hosting while traveling? I will be on a bike tour for three months in Africa and wondering if it could be possible to still maintain hosting or if it's best to hire someone to manage it for me? If it's best to hire someone, does anyone have suggestions? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

2 Replies 2
Bob297
Level 10
Bilthoven, Netherlands

@Kristie59 
You can do a lot online, but you will need to hire someone on site

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Kristie59 I host in to travel all the time. Who cleans your property? Is that person reliable? Who fixes things for you? Can that person enter the property without you if something comes up?

I have a very reliable housekeeper, repair person, and some specialty people: HVAC, electrical. Big and small things come up and you might pay a little bit more because you’re not there to take care of something you normally would’ve done yourself, but overall, it’s worth it for me for the continuous stream of income.

in fact, I am traveling now, and one of my guests shut the bathroom door closed from the outside after turning the knob to the locked position from the inside. They would not agree to even attempt to take care of it themselves, so I had to send someone to do it. It took them three seconds with a knife, but it had to be done. Once on a trip, electricity went out for the building and I had to spend the night jetlagged dealing with that situation.

Having said all that, it is all still worth it.