i just started just wanted to know from hosts that are succefull if there is any pointers you can share ?

Jimmy294
Level 1
Philadelphia, PA

i just started just wanted to know from hosts that are succefull if there is any pointers you can share ?

new Host

6 Replies 6
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jimmy294  Yes. Read these forums daily or as often as possible. You'll learn more than you ever imagined or wanted to know :))

Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

@Jimmy294 

1. Try to anticipate your guest's needs. At least leave the coffee, tea, creamer, and sugar available for guest's. Think about what you would like if you were the guest.

2. Buy a key pad code door lock so guests can check in on their own (lots of guests don't want to have to wait for you to meet them at the unit-maybe their plane arrived late, etc.).

3. Send a welcome message the day the guest checks in.

4. Send a thank you message when guests check out.

5. Avoid hosting locals unless they have a good reason to book your place.

6. If a guest messages you, try to respond as soon as possible.

7. Occasionally check in with your guest during their stay to make sure that there stay is pleasant and that they have what they need.

8. Buy nice, fluffy towels and nice sheets (patterned sheets are good; especially for hiding subtle stains/marks).

9. Take a video or pictures of the place after you clean and before the next guest checks in

10. Remember to look under the beds (I just recently found a guest's Apple watch), behind the couches, in the couch cushions, etc.).

11. Have a doorbell camera or recording spotlight and disclose it in your listing, description, and house rules. Post signs noting that the outside premises are being recorded for guest's safety.

12. Make sure your unit and entry ways are well lit.

13. Keep fans on hand inside the unit.

14. Buy inexpensive makeup remover wipes/pads for your guests (saves washcloths from becoming permanently stained).

just be honest in your listing.

It's your best selling point.

Undersell and over deliver.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

A few from me

Ignore the price suggestions they are often stupidly low

Act like a guest booking to scope out competition and their prices in your area

Do discount slightly in early months/years until you get good reviews

Don't panic if bookings only come in a week or less ahead of time - This is normal for a new place

Smile a lot

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Jimmy294   if not done already, check your competition.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Jimmy294 

Grow skin like a rhinoceros and balls of steel.