pet fees

Lael13
Level 2
San Diego, CA

pet fees

I read some feeds about this topic and really resonates with me.  I  noticed all 4 of my listings have changed automatically (I didnt do it) from my $100 pet fee to free.  I have had to switch it back quite a few  times.  Even when it is displaying the pet fee I am not getting the fee added on to the listing cost anymore so I am having to request it which most times the guest does not see.  I'm not sure who else is having this problems.  I was also interested in notifying in my listing of being able to charge double when guests try sneaking in a pet.  It is much more work with hair and  the white duvets and often bring in another cleaner.... sometimes the feces in the yard that I do not pay my cleaners to do.  Of course if we contact airbnb and charge the extra showing pictures you risk your rating with a bad review.  People lie all the time and we are at their mercy over a review that can ruin our business and what we have worked so hard to maintain.  Also in previous posts talking about the amount of dogs that we should be abke to change the fees as well.  Much more wear and tear on furniture and again....... hair and pawprints and feces can be tripled.  I love the pets but it does create extra fees.  With 2 reservations a week that bring in a pet with my 4 houses is a difference of 41K a year.  The fees help with extra cleaners and upgrading furniture with the extra wear and tear.

2 Replies 2
Richard531
Level 10
California, United States

@Lael13 I find pet fees to be the most unnecessarily frustrating aspect of the hosting process with Airbnb. 

We apply pet fees in a haphazard way because the way Airbnb administers fees (one set fee regardless of number days and number of pets) makes no sense. 

So after every booking is confirmed, we're forced to go into this little battle with the guest to find out how many pets they have an then apply the fees accordingly.  The guests almost always think that because they selected "pet" that they have already paid the fees (they haven't) and it creates friction that both we and the guest don't need.  Of course, all of this is described in detail on the listing page and on the notes when they book (well, not any more for those that can Instant Book), but guests usually don't read anything.  

This can be easily resolved.  However, decision makers at Airbnb want us to charge a single fee regardless of pets, regardless of the booking duration.  Again, it's the most frustrating thing, mechanically, about working with Airbnb right now.  

Adam1506
Level 2
Quincy, MA

I’ll never understand why Airbnb can’t get pet fees in a good place.  But, at least they actually have pet fees now, although a flat rate for a pet fee is exceptionally dumb.  Personally, I circumvent this by adding to the listing description as well as a picture that specifically states my pet fee policy (which is exactly the same as additional guests).