weird questions from prospective guest

Nicole2143
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

weird questions from prospective guest

Someone inquired, putting the dates of their possible stay as two weeks that are not available at this point.  But in their inquiry they ask "can you know something about the house?"  OK, the person's English isn't that good, but anyway, what a super general question.  And they'd be renting a room, not the whole house.  I replied asking what they wanted to know and their answer was: "I want to know about the security and environmental problems around the house."  I don't really want to tell them anything, because it seems kind of shady, and especially since the dates they want aren't even available.  Can I just not respond--without losing Superhost status?

3 Replies 3
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Nicole2143 

The guest can not sent an inquiry for dates that are not available, they have to select them from your calender, so then the dates are available !

As you already responded  once, you can leave it without further repons or a decline (as opposite to a booking request, which always need an accept or a decline).

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Nicole2143  All that is required for Inquiries is that you message the inquirer back with 24 hours. And you only have to respond once, not to further messages on that original inquiry.

This sounds like a combination of a new user who doesn't understand how things work, and a language barrier. If it were me, I wouldn't simply not respond, I would say something like "Hi XX, It seems that you don't understand that my listing is a private room in my home, not an entire house. Also, if you want specific answers to something, you need to ask specific questions. "The security and environmental problems around the house" is a strange question- I don't know why you would assume there are problems? "

Susie268
Level 3
Lari, Italy

Just say there aren’t any issues that you are aware of.