Airbnb Must Adapt or Die

Dean43
Level 2
Denver, CO

Airbnb Must Adapt or Die

Setting up a quality Airbnb

I will start out by giving you a little history of my experience with Airbnb. I was a host from 2014 through March of 2022 when after the City of Denver changed the laws it did not seem feasible to run an Airbnb out of my house as I was running five listings out of the same house and living in the master bedroom. I also have a strong sense for quality furniture, quality supplies (towels, paper towels, toilet paper, etc.). Airbnb was started as a disruptor to hotel stays. Originally hosts were individuals who strived to have quality places with quality accommodations at a much lower price than hotels. What was once disruptive, now has hit economies of scale and reached the bottom of the barrel with property managers who are usually high school kids who didn’t go to college kids, or college kids who used to live in dirty dorms, so their level of quality and service is extremely poor and lacking any resemblance of the terms. In order to run a quality Airbnb, you MUST have standards for your business. That means quality furniture. I like Costco because they have the “highest quality goods, at the best possible price”. That means their furniture lasts five to ten years, unlike IKEA, Walmart or Target furniture. It’s safe to say that any Airbnd that has furnished their places with the latter is NOT providing quality, whatsoever. The next important thing is your laundry, linens and supplies. You can and should get everything you need from Costco. The linens have the highest thread counts (quality) and they’re super soft, reasonably priced and will last significantly longer than other retailers’ brands. The towels at Costco are superb (quality) compared to any other retailer. You should have plenty of towels for your quests (6-10 towels of all sizes). Now let’s talk kitchen supplies and toiletries. The Kirkland signature paper towels are not only plentiful, but also an extreme value and quality for the money. Buying anything else is purchasing poor quality products and frankly they’re cheap wasteful products anyway. Don’t do it! Let’s talk toilet paper! Even hotels mess this up, but an Airbnb using one ply toilet paper is insulting to your guests. To do it right, you buy Charmin in the large bulk size at Costco. It’s the best value for the quality and the money and you keep your guests happy. All of this may seem a little expensive as an upfront cost, but you win with quality and service and that’s the only thing that matters. On top of that, all the costs to do these things right are tax deductions to your end of year bottom line, so DO IT RIGHT! STOP BEING CHEAP!!! You’re only damaging your reviews by being CHEAP! Which will lose you guests in the long term. You may be charging large amounts now, but if your reviews go in the toilet, you’ll have zero guests in the long-term, so price your **bleep** right too. STOP PRICE GAUGING! You’re only hurting the market and your future earnings, because if you’re overpriced, I destroy your ratings! I DO NOT hold back! When you over price your product, to me you’re just a SCUMBAG OIL LANDMAN Salesmen! Those are the worst, BTW!

Third Party Hotel Airbnb Hosts

This one I have a real contention with. These ** don’t give a **bleep** about the guests. They’re real POSs! Not only will they fight you on everything, but they also don’t respond quickly whatsoever. Let’s talk about the real problem, though. The apartment complexes have decided to partake in the listings, but they don’t want to be held accountable for anything in the hosting process, so they hire a third-party property management company. Well, that’s great! You have no honor or integrity to be held accountable. The apartment complex staff gets to point the finger at the host because it’s not their fault (eyerolls) and the host gets to blame it on the complex, because it’s not their fault (eyerolls). Then, when you bring up an issue with the Airbnb support Ambassador for the area, they often refer you to get resolution with the host, because it’s not their fault! Again, no **bleep**ING ACCOUNTABILITY! This society’s weak behavior must end! Own your **bleep**, HOSTS! Own your **bleep**, apartment complexes! Own your **bleep**, Airbnb! You have NO integrity whatsoever and you now offer crappy bottom of the barrel products and services. What was once a disruptive product, is now fully sewer excrement for a product and service. Absolute **bleep**! No wonder hotels are coming back in a big way!

Why are hotels better than Short Term Rentals?

The first thing is you can cancel your stay up until 24 hours until the stay, unless you book on a third-party aggregate site like Orbitz, Kayak, Travelocity, etc. ** . I use them to find the best deals, then I book directly on the hotel’s app because it’s usually always the same price and I have the benefit of being able to cancel if I need to. The second-best thing about a hotel is you get daily cleaning, new towels whenever you want them and if you’re a regular guest you get a late checkout. They offer nice lobbies to hang out with. There is a person you can call for immediate service if anything is wrong with your room. On Airbnb you get this tech BOT runaround for 30 minutes until you finally can speak to an ambassador and then that ambassador passes the buck as if it’s not his/her responsibility (No Accountability). What kind of crappy service is that? Airbnb is an absolute JOKE when it comes to service and quality these days. I know because I was a host, I did it right and now as a guest I am absolutely disgusted with the abhorrent product hosts and Airbnb ambassadors are providing.

Cancellation Policies

Okay, let’s talk about hosting cancellation fees. If you’re not allowing 100% cancellation up to 48 hours before the listing and at least a 75% refund the day of, then your product is **bleep**! FULL STOP! If you’re in a high-density area like the city of Denver, you can get another booking within a week and will NOT lose any revenue, so STOP with the “NO REFUND” policy BULL**bleep**! It makes you look like an uneducated, immoral POS that has no understanding of the business! Frankly, I won’t book any place that has this policy ever again, and neither should anyone else for that matter. If you refuse 100% refund when the cancellation is 48 hours in advance, you have NO INTEGRITY, NO HONOR, NO SENSIBILITIES WHATSOEVER! You’re just a dirtbag host trying to scam people and you should NOT be in business if you have this attitude! This is about ethics and moral responsibility! Your review will suffer tremendously with this **bleep** policy in place.
**[Content removed as tone is against the guidelines]

26 Replies 26
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Dean43 What a lovely rant. Why you think you can dictate other host's cancellation policies and the shops they buy from is entirely beyond me.

Thankfully we buy furniture that has already lasted 100+ years and should go on well beyond another 100 years. Luckily we also have a Strict cancellation policy so at least we will not be troubled to host you in the future.

Haha. Lovely how you think **!!! is acceptable. The problem with society. I will not hesitate to scrutinize hosts lackluster quality and service. Do it right or don't do it at all. If you can' provide quality and service to a high standard across the board, you should NOT be in the business!!! Especially cheap, lazy hosts!

**[Content removed inline with the Community Center Guidelines- Please be respectful in your discussions  in Community Center]

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Dean43, Thank you for your posting in our community.

I’m Paula one of the Community Managers here in the Community Center. Let’s keep the conversation respectful please, even when don’t agree with each other. Here’s a link to the Community Center Guidelines, which everyone agrees to when joining the Community Center.

Thank you,
Paula

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Political correctness has no place here. The hosts must be held accountable to poor quality standards and Airbnb is doing a disservice by allowing poor quality. I'm educating Guests on how to hold them accountable instead of giving good reviews to bad stays. 

Ruth413
Level 10
Moreton, United Kingdom

@Dean43   I don't think @Paula was talking about political correctness but about being polite.

All the hosts that have replied to you are Superhosts with high ratings and 100's of stays, they know what it takes to make a guest happy and provide a great stay.

And each guest is different.   What you might find poor quality, other guests might not.  Believe me, as you should know being a past host, the majority of hosts work hard for their great ratings.  

And just a little info, here in the U.K, Costco isn't seen as a high end marketplace, but a little cheap.  It might be different in the U.S.A. 

@Dean43 sadly I can't see half of your reply as it was removed by the admins. Where did I say **!!! is acceptable? I think you will find my antique furniture furniture is way better quality than even the esteemed Costco.

** You need to research how Costco purchases quality products. That's not the point. The beds from Costco are made by Sealy Posturepedic, so you can't go wrong there. Too often I've stayed at places with these new junky pads for beds. I've had hosts say it's a King when it's a queen with a King pad laying over the top of the Queen box spring. For example the current bed I'm on writing this message is a full sized bed from a Host that just doesn't care about quality. It's half the thickness of a normal Full Sized mattress and it's literally slanting and makes me feel like I'm falling off of it.

The audience for my post is Guests who want to hold Hosts accountable. The fact that Hosts want to debate me holding them to higher standards, tells me you're lazy and don't take criticism well. Whatever you deem as quality products or services in your area, then do that, but make sure it's quality! It should last a lifetime. It should NOT be junk from Ikea, Target or Walmart that breaks within one year because it's particle board. If you're not stocking the sink cupboard with cleaning supplies, providing ample amount of toiletries and paper towels that are of high quality, NOT this one-Ply crap! These are simple things! I'm shocked that you hosts are actually upset by me holding you to a higher standard! You should be seeking ways to improve, not defending mediocrity! Duh! 

**[Content removed inline with the Community Center Guidelines- Please be respectful in your discussions  in Community Center

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Dean43  Congratulations on a fantastic rant! However,  I won't be changing any of my hosting practices based on what you think about what I should buy, where I should buy it, and all of the other blah blah blah. 

I guess I'm "an uneducated, immoral POS that has no understanding of the business! "

Funny how I've been doing it wrong all these years, but I'm somehow still getting by with great reviews and satisfied guests. Go figure. 

I don't care whether you change it or not. I posted this so people start questing lackluster hosts and pushing back on lazy and out of touch hosts who clearly don't know what quality and service means. Do it right or don't do it at all. You get the bad reviews you deserve if you don't provide quality and high levels of service. I'd rather stay at a hotel these days. Exactly why I said "Airbnb MUST adapt or die". You destroy a platform by providing **bleep**ty accommodations, lackluster quality and service at ridiculously over valued prices. I can't wait for the real estate crash to destroy the ignorant hosts who price gauged through these past three years. If you can't do it right, get out of the business. Hard reviews are coming to these hosts who do piss poor management. 

Right. I love how you think that Costco is the pinnacle of high quality goods. Hilarious. 

Do some research, clearly you don't know anything about their sourcing strategies, quality of goods and their five rights of merchandising. It's certainly 10X better than Ikea, Target, Walmart, etc. 

If you're doing it right, then why do you feel like debating me who is clearly NOT talking about a good host. I'm talking about bad host. Why are you so offended if you're doing it right! **

**[Content removed by Community Manager in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

@Dean43 do you think you could do us a small favour and tag people when you insult/are rude to them. Your instruction to @Kia272 may not even be seen unless you do so. Even for someone who is technically challenged like myself clicking the @ symbol and choosing a name from the dropdown is very easy.

At this point, solely for the amusement factor. You're obviously VERY angry about something, and have decided to misdirect that anger towards hosts on AirBnB. 

Why are you in an AirBnB right now if AirBnB is so terrible? 

Every angry (and misguided) rant/response you post here leads towards the likelihood of you being kicked off the CC, as you've already been censored multiple times for being rude. 

Intelligent people can debate each other without using expletives, name calling, and many, many exclamation points and CAPS to make their point.