BRIAN CHESKY WHAT KIND OF COMPANY YOU RUNNING??

BRIAN CHESKY WHAT KIND OF COMPANY YOU RUNNING??

Brian

I had a crazy experience last week in FL renting a room in North Fort Myers with my wife.  We had a cockroach in the shower and we communicated it to the host.  They felt it wasn’t a big deal which is crazy in my mind.  We ended up leaving the property and staying in a hotel the rest of the trip.  We provided picture to the host and customer service of Airbnb and after review your company decided it’s ok to shower with cockroaches.  I’m very disappointed with the outcome as it’s not about the money but it’s the principle of your company.  This is bad business.

Sent from my iPhone
  •  

1 Reply 1
Cheri354
Level 10
Helena-West Helena, AR

I'm sorry you ended up with a 'visitor' in your shower ! That's very distressing~

The thought makes my skin crawl, honestly.

Unfortunately, in some areas a random bug is not a huge issue.

**Please allow me to explain:

First off, I am a female and detest many bugs. I reallllly don't like them.

Secondly, I used to think (unfairly and unscientifically) that if I saw one bug like a roach, there must be tons more on the property. This notion  isn't true unless the property is unclean in general as that can draw critters.

Reality: there are some places, geographically, that have the right conditions for bugs, mice, raccoons and a host of other critters. Florida is one of those places. The climate is especially  welcoming to bugs. One can hire an exterminator that is spraying on a regular basis (as often as is legally allowed) and there will be some bugs.

Lots of bugs (like roaches) like humidity, heat, water & foliage to hide in. Florida is prime for these conditions. Even if the host keeps the premises clean and sanitary, bugs find a way in.

Even if you plug holes/cracks and other entryways at the base of a house or apartment, bugs will find a way in..even if it's on the third floor.

I know because I now live in the South, a mile from the Mississippi River in the Delta region of Arkansas/Mississippi. It's hot, wet and crawling with Kudzu 🙂 We have done all that was recommended to seal up our home. We clean a lot. We spray commercial insecticide (that is safe around pets and humans). There is no bug-friendly carpet for critters of any size to hide in or eat; it's all hardwood floors. We don't open windows; using fans and AC to stay cool. All opened food items are stored in air-tight containers. We take house trash out to the garbage bin often. The bin is sealed and has a weighted top so nothing enters there.

When we spray, it's inside and outside.

There are bugs. Sometimes one a month. Maybe one a week. Sometimes more in Summer months.

Note** sometimes after a spray, it will bring a bug out into the open as it's now trying to escape..

I can also attest to the fact that this goes on in motels and hotels. In Florida, it's really not uncommon to see a bug on the walls. They crawl and fly 😞  Gross, right ? So unfair !

Anyway, I just wanted to pop in and say I can relate, I'm sorry you dealt with the situation and I hope it won't turn you away from traveling to new areas for fun 🙂 I don't doubt you had a scary experience.. just want to let you know it may be that the host has done their homework to attempt to be as bug-free as possible. You can certainly leave some suggestions in your review or even better, in a private message. Crossing my fingers you guys worked out an amicable solution~

Hopefully your host will consider posting a balmy bug alert in the listing just in case, and provide bug swatters in the future in their rooms~

Best wishes !