Bad customer experience.

Bad customer experience.

Elderly customer came alone.

He was very late to come at the time we agreed and he came in the evening forcing me to wait for him late. He excused himself by rushing some of his friends to the area.

From the first moment he appeared very strange, permanently aggressive and angrily demanding benefits that are not mentioned.

For example, to offer him breakfast and lunch, that the apartment is facing east and that it will be hot on the terrace, that the neighbor's plot has little grass, that there are 7 steps outside to reach the floor of the apartment (mentioned in the listing) and others weird.

He used the 2 days of his stay and the 8 towels that were in the apartment, the air conditioner was running 24 hours even when he was away, consuming electricity unnecessarily.

Absolutely no remarks were made to him out of respect for his age. As a result, this customer made a negative evaluation by reporting lies. I note that for him it is the first time he closes with air bnb.

I think this is very unfair for us who several times in order to satisfy each customer we give services free of charge which we do not promise in our listing.

We are in despair and very distressed indeed.

Thank you for your time.

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Anastasios23 

You can write a public comment on the review of guest D. if the facts are not correct.

(eg: your listing shows you do not offer breakfast)

You wrote a review for the guest D. , but it does not mention any of the  issues. (?)

@Anastasios23  Perhaps we have cultural differences in how we view the elderly, but I don't see old age as an excuse to be aggressive, demanding, entitled, and wasteful. Allowing someone to walk all over you like a doormat doesn't actually convey respect to them - rather, it signals that you believe you're unworthy of respect yourself.

In order to attract better guests in the future, I suggest building out your listings with more detail about what specifically you offer to your guests, with higher quality photos, and focusing on delivering on that. In hospitality, there's no reward for giving unpromised services free of charge, because once you do them the customer just thinks those are part of what they paid for. And if the home is not to the guests' liking, no extra perks will buy you a good review.

The particular property where this guest stayed seems to be cramming a lot of beds into a very tiny space that's only suitable for 1 or 2 people - "bring the whole family" is definitely not how I would pitch this unit unless your guests are ants. This bad experience might be a wake-up call: this studio might be perfect for a certain type of guest, but you have to target it correctly and avoid awkward fits if you want to earn good reviews.

We have great respect for all the elderly as well as those with special needs and we have great sensitivity.

For this reason, out of respect for his age, I did not write all the negatives and problems he created.

I hope it lives for many years and never creates problems for other hosts again.

@Anastasios23   You have said "we have great respect for" bla bla bla over and over again, and honestly this is totally empty and useless virtue signaling. It seems that you want people to believe something about your character based on the premise that you feel some special sensitivities, but you have to ask yourself - are the people you claim to have these sensitivities for actually benefitting from them? 

Your review of the grumpy guest doesn't do anything to help future hosts make an informed decision; it only says:

"Every elderly person's feedback is always respected. Thank you"

Obviously you threw a bit of shade there - you can't pretend to actually respect a person when the only adjective you use to describe them is "elderly." But if you genuinely had a bad customer experience, you should have conveyed something about it in the review instead of just complaining on a web forum.

The most visible sign of the real amount of respect you have for people is in your listings, as they show how much thought you've actually put into their comfort and well-being. And sorry but your listings look like prison cells.