Bad host?

Rick4365
Level 1
San Diego, CA

Bad host?

I book a reservation and received confirmation from the host and this is how the correspondence between the host and myself. Upon receiving confirmation, flight reservations and tickets were made and purchased by myself and other family members. A day and a half went by and I hadn't heard anything from the host, so I go online and see that the reservation was canceled. By whom? For what reason? No explanation. No message, nothing. The following is the correspondence and timeline between the host and myself

This is clearly misrepresentation and false advertising. Do not just tell me to go find something else. Very unprofessional.

Forum people, wondering if I did something wrong I'm not seeing? If rental history was a requirement, he should have stated that upfront. But the to say he would override it because I'm a host lead me to believe it wasn't an issue. Because my brother would have made the reservation in his name because he's rented from AirBnB many times.....I explained that to support and they relayed it to the host.

I have not come across any other properties I like during that time period. My flight won't allow me to change the dates. AirBnB Support was little to no help whatsoever.

**[Private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Rick4365 I have only one idea which is to contact Airbnb on Twitter quoting their 'Aircover for guests' product which says Airbnb will try to find you a new place. Suggesting publicly that this product is just marketing flannel may get you the help you need to find a new place.

Sadly Aircover is laughably bad as its fundamental backstop is to return your money which it would be legally required to do even if Aircover didn't exist!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It sounds like sadly you booked with an unprofessional outfit - is it a larger style airbnb management company that manages the listing?

I would suggest you give Airbnb a call and ask then why the booking is cancelled. If it was cancelled by the host  - they should be penalised and have the dates blocked out in their calendar and Airbnb should help you identify suitable alternative listings.

I certainly wouldn't want to stay at any of his properties if this is how the host/co-host operates.

Helen3,

Thank you so very much for your input. The host did make the cancelation personally and blocked out the dates of the reservation. I assume they were blocked for me initially but they still remain blocked.....probably for whoever he has given my reservation to  🙂

I agree with you completely and feel he should be penalized somehow.

Rick4365
Level 1
San Diego, CA

Thank you, I will look into that. Appreciate your input very much!