Beware of "Adjustment" errors!

Paul1826
Level 2
Montgomery, AL

My guest was a long-time guest. He booked for 11 months (original dates July 7, 2019 to June 10, 2020) but asked to check out 9 days early on June 1.
I had received NO June pay out. My last pay out was May 8, 2020.
My nightly rate is $75.
I was charged an adjustment of $1,585.77 for 9 days. This is nearly my monthly rate! My rate for 9 days is aprox $611 with my weekly discount or $675 with no discount. 

One host noted that when AirBnb recalculates the guest's stay that they often fail include the embedded discounts for longer stays which results in a more costly adjustment. 
If I was not issued the June payout for this extended stay, how do I owe an adjustment at all much less such a hefty one? 
Trying to come back from the pandemic cancellations this is hitting hard.  Current guests are staying for "free" until the balance is paid off. 
AirBnB support makes all the sympathetic noises and refers me to a case manager who hasn't contacted me since I called 4 days ago. 

4 Replies 4
Brenda328
Level 10
South Dakota, United States

@Paul1826   Sorry to tell you this has gone on as long as I can remember.  A guest will have a monthly rate and when they attempt to add one additional night the system will discard the monthly rate and charge the guest full rate for every single night in the stay.

Or, similar to your situation, I had a long-term guest who left early and by the time the customer service rep was done calculating I also owed the guest money - when I hadn't been paid for the current month yet either.  You can try to talk to customer service and go through all of the numbers with them, you can even send them the numbers and all the calculations, but I doubt you will get very far.  These are very simple algorithms that even a high school kid should be able to code with no issues, but Airbnb doesn't seem to be able to calculate the correct values automatically or manually.

Submit a CS request through Chat, don't call because they will never be able to help you, and then go through all the calculations in detail in your written messages.  If you have a customer service agent who is unable to assist you, copy that chat so you don't lose all your calculations and then start over with a different customer service agent.

By the way, if the rental period starts on any day other than the 1st of the month, you can pretty much forget it - they are completely unable to process that scenario.

Good luck!

Brenda, thanks for this! I have been calling and calling! You said submit a "CS request through Chat."  Can you direct me where I do this? 

Brenda328
Level 10
South Dakota, United States

@Paul1826   Go to Help (tab at top of page if on laptop) or type in this URL:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/hosting.  Near the bottom of the page on the right hand side will be a Contact Us button.   Then select Get Help With A Reservation.  Select that you are the Host.  If you have multiple properties, select the correct property.  Then select the appropriate guest.  

Then you should be able to start typing a message to Customer Service.  There are other ways to initiate a Chat with CS, but not all of them work on all devices.  This is the method that works most often for me.  Other hosts might have more efficient methods.

Saigon-Chill0
Level 2
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Hi @Paul1826 

I recently had no payout in December, 2020 and January 2021 because of an adjustment in November 2019, which was over a year before that. However, the adjustment was wrong because there have been no overpaid from guests or Airbnb to my account so far. 

Have you solved this adjustment issue with Airbnb and how can you do it? 

Much appreciate your sharing