Can any host or anyone at Airbnb explain why airbnb does not provide a function for a per night fee for pets instead of the flat fee approach?

Can any host or anyone at Airbnb explain why airbnb does not provide a function for a per night fee for pets instead of the flat fee approach?

Pretty much every hotel, motel, Inn, B and B and other online platforms all use a PER night charge for pets.  How can you pick a flat fee price that is equitable for just one night or someone staying 10 nights?    I am very convinced that Airbnb and hosts would all have greater income with a pet fee that was per night, just like the approach used for extra guests.   Has anyone else wondered about this question...or can anyone provide an answer that makes sense?   I have asked around and thought about this a lot...and simply cannot find a reason for the current way that Airbnb provides for charging a flat fee for pets...that applies for either 1 night....or 10.   If the flat feet were $50...that would take on $50 for single night and be a deterrent to guests renting...but for a 10 night stay it would only be $5/night...and airbnb and hosts would loose potential income.   Any thoughts would be appreciated by any and all. 

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Eric6261 I can only assume that the pet fee is being seen as some sort of extra cleaning fee. Hence it is only applied once no matter how long the pets stay or how many there are. This does make some sense to me but we don't allow pets so we are not overly interested in this issue.

Thanks Mike.  Not sure how your guest house is set up but we have a base rate for two guests and then an an additional fee per person per night.  I am advocating that Airbnb should at least provide us this fee structure for guest pets just like extra human guests. I am not suggesting the same price, that would be up to the host.  I have traveled with dogs extensively and have never found any place with the flat fee approach…. Other than Airbnb.

Andrew2792
Level 2
Huddersfield, United Kingdom

Hi Eric, I totally agree with what you have said and have often thought there should be an option for charging a fee per dog & per night just like guests. 

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Eric6261   You have a point, and there have been discussions about this when AirBnB made changes to their website to include pet fees several years back.

There are definitely two schools of thought - the per pet/per night fee group and the one-time fee group.  It would be great if AirBnB offered both options and the host was able to select whichever met their needs.

I fall under the one-time fee for up to two pets group. I do not cater to one-night guests and I have had very little pushback that my pet fee is too great for a weekend or 3 night stay. My pet fee is paid entirely to housekeeping for the time involved in additional cleaning protocols like double washing the bed linens that the guest let their fur-baby sleep on, using particular cleaning products on the furniture and marching around the yard checking for dog poo.  As this is done only upon the exit of the pet, spreading it out over the duration of the rental is not for me.  

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Not only pet fee is one time fee but it is incorporated with accommodation price so partially refunded if the guest shorten his stay!

it should be a separate fee like the cleaning fee, nonrefundable after check in

it should be multiplied by the number of pets

it should also be an option to charge it by day

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia