Catastrophic litigation management of Airbnb.

Khalid96
Level 1
Belfort, France

Catastrophic litigation management of Airbnb.

very disappointed by the behavior of Airbnb which refused to reimburse me for a rental in an accommodation which did not correspond at all to the announcement, the accommodation was unsanitary, on 5th floor... Under the pretext of not having taken photos to prove my good faith, Airbnb preferred to trust the new host, even though I have been using Airbnb for 7 years with a perfect experience with hosts. As a result, I had to pay for a hotel in addition to the Airbnb accommodation. Dispute management with Airbnb is catastrophic, everything goes if you don't have any problems, otherwise you will only have your eyes to cry. I now prefer to go through well-known hotel chains, 150 euros more for a week's stay, but at least with less surprise and possible to settle in the event of a dispute.

3 Replies 3
Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Khalid96   Unfortunately, unless you can provide evidence that the listing you have booked is different to that advertised, missing amenities or unclean then Airbnb only have your word for the issues.  It is extremely important that you document all problems and take photographs before submitting your complaint to Airbnb and asking for the appropriate cancellation and/or refund.  Please also note that in the first instance you should reach out to your host to give them the opportunity to resolve the issues and make sure that you keep all communication on the Airbnb Messages.

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Khalid96 wrote:

Under the pretext of not having taken photos to prove my good faith, Airbnb preferred to trust the new host, even though I have been using Airbnb for 7 years with a perfect experience with hosts.   Dispute management with Airbnb is catastrophic,  

yes, most people do seem to report that dealing with "customer service" is not great. Did you honestly think that just telling them you had a bad experience would work? why didn't you take photos? There are so many scammy guests out there of course you are required to prove your claims with evidence. 

I'm sure you could at least go to google maps and find a photo of the building to show the accommodation was not as it seemed. you only have 72hours after your stay to make a claim. 

Also, your current profile is not 7 years old, just sayin'

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Khalid96 Even in a court of law, one’s word is not accepted as proof/evidence. As the saying goes, a photo is worth a thousand words and you should have taken some. In this instance, AirBnB is right. You have to have proof. And, you could have easily taken pictures with your smart phone or at least messaged the host through the airbnb platform to give host opportunity to correct deficiencies. Then filed your complaint.