Category issue

Tyler506
Level 2
Maine, United States

Category issue

My wife and I own and just started Steamboat Wharf Cabins in Stockton Springs Maine. Our cabins aren't showing up in the cabin category. Our listing title clearly states "Steamboat Wharf Cabins." Our photos are clear that we host stays in cabins. Our description clearly states that guests will be staying in cabins. We don't have reviews because we just opened this year. We also qualify for other categories but cabin is the main category. We changed our photos around and added new photos,  lowered our prices to rock bottom prices, but still we aren't getting bookings or views. We are superhosts with our other listings. How do we show up the cabin category? This will crush our start up business. 

This is one of our 6 cabin listings. https://abnb.me/fAtCET082pb

Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you 

8 Replies 8

I called Airbnb and waited and waited for an answer to this question. I’ll put what they said below. The jist— there is no guarantee you will be placed in any of these categories. They change weekly. So one week your cabin may be under cabins and the next week not. 

They are populating the results and directing people where to go. Brian Chesky the ceo said the goal is to distribute guests across more locations and dates— so if you are in an area with more Airbnb density the categories look like they will direct guests away, based on this goal. Not sure if that helps. Good luck getting your cabin categorized! 

also— we have definitely seen a drop in bookings since this rolled out. Disappointing!

**[Private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

How can a cabin be a cabin one week and not another?  Seems a little suspicious.  AirBnB is starting to remind me of many governments and media outlets.......their goal is just to control everyone.

I have an ocean front condo right on the beach. I do not show under results for “beachfront “ or “views”. It’s very frustrating as there is a couple of properties that do show in the results that are a block back from the beach and have very limited views. 

I have noticed a few sites get multiple categories for the same rental. Contact AirBnB

Katie88
Level 4
Asheville, NC

I had a similar issue, but was told something different.  My tiny house was not listed in the tiny house category and I was told it was because I didn't have instant book on and my cancellation policy was not flexible enough.  The categories seem like a good idea, especially for guests looking for a unique stay.  I'm sure it will take a while for them to iron out the issues with this new roll out.  Hopefully they get it all figured out soon.

Donald290
Level 2
Bayview, TX

I have a WATERFRONT cottage on Galveston Bay.  It is not LAKEFRONT or BEACHFRONT.  Most guests visit to relax and fish.  Airbnb does not have a WATERFRONT category.  If the people writing the categories looked on US maps they would see many WATERFRONT properties.  Your new site is destroying my business.  I have only 1 reservation for June.  Yet fishing tournaments are happening in the area and guests are not finding me.  Please add WATERFRONT.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Tyler506  Have you listed on Glamping Hub?  

Shelley30
Level 2
Maple Ridge, Canada

We have the same situations, we have a Glamping site and a suite on the river with great views in a forested countryside, yet we are not in any catogory. We could easily fit into multiple categories but best suited would be Glamping but that isn’t a category but there are many categories they do have that are unheard of, at least in North America. There are rentals that are in multiple categories, not just one but we aren’t in any? When people use the catogory system, like they are now, they don’t see us at all even though we are what they want and are much closer. This is hurting us drastically. We contacted AirBnB three different ways and they all just say they are working on it…