Charged an additional $100 cleaning fee totally unwarranted

Emily1672
Level 1
Boston, MA

Charged an additional $100 cleaning fee totally unwarranted

Hello,

ive been an Airbnb guest for the last 7 years and I have received only positive reviews regarding how I have cared for my host’s homes until today. I was completely caught off guard when the host for my most recent weekend stay reached out to charge me an additional $100 cleaning fee based on how I left his place. The cleaning fee for the two bedroom unit is already $125. We stayed for two nights. The host was aware that the guests staying at the unit were myself, my husband,  our almost two year old son as well as two other adults who would babysit my son overnight on Saturday for one of the two nights. He approved of my stay/guests. We had a small change in plans and the two adults babysitting my son needed to bring their 4 year old son with them. The host lived on the property and saw this and complained to me that I had not let him know of this. This really surprised me because my number of adults didn’t change and it seemed very insignificant to have a small child tag along for one night. Additionally, the host was unhappy that we “rearranged furniture” (by putting two twin beds together) and some of his trinkets/decorations were in different places (the children did this innocently and caused zero harm). He also complained of some food crumbs and some puzzle pieces left on the floor by our children. Upon check out I went through and collected ALL trash and gathered it by the door, did ALL dishes, cleaned surfaces, and even attempted to vacuum some crumbs I noticed but his vacuum was not working well so it wasn’t a perfect job. I figured the $125 cleaning fee would suffice to clean the floors appropriately. I admit I didn’t see the puzzle pieces he made note of, there could not have been many. The host left me a review saying I left his home in “complete disarray” and I am beside myself with confusion. I declined his request for $100 and asked for photos to justify a $225 cleaning/organizing service.

It costs me $120 to have my whole apartment deep cleaned biweekly so I’m very confused how I caused $225 worth of cleaning for a two night stay when I left the place in a very acceptable condition in my opinion.

thoughts/opinions? I welcome your feedback on this!

2 Replies 2
Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Emily1672   Cleaning fees are generally for cleaning, not for picking stuff up off the floor, moving furniture and returning stuff to its original location.  The following is from the Terms & Conditions for guests which you will have agreed to when making your reservation.  Without seeing photographs, house rules etc then it is hard to tell if the fee you were charged, plus the additional request is justified or not.  We charge a nominal fee for cleaning for our listing, but in actual fact pay our cleaner more.  We do this rather than add it into our nightly rates in order to keep those lower.  I agree that some cleaning fees to seem to be excessive for some listings, but if the host is using a cleaning company rather than doing it themselves or using a local person then they will most likely be charged more.  Additional people, children or adults, mean additional laundry for the host.  The Host also needs to know how many people are staying within the property in the unfortunate event of a fire or other emergency.

4. Your Responsibilities.

You are responsible for your own acts and omissions and are also responsible for the acts and omissions of anyone you invite to join or provide access to any Accommodation or Experience. For example, this means: (i) you are responsible for leaving an Accommodation (and related personal property) in the condition it was in when you arrived, (ii) you are responsible for paying all Damage Claim amounts necessary to cover damage that you, your guest(s), or your pet(s) cause to an Accommodation, and (iii) you must act with integrity, treat others with respect and comply with applicable laws at all times. If you are booking for an additional guest who is a minor or if you bring a minor to a Host Service, you must be legally authorized to act on behalf of the minor and you are solely responsible for the supervision of that minor.

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

@Emily1672  sounds like this was triggered by taking along the 4 year old without asking your host or amending the booking.  

Was there an addition fee if the guest count was  been upped by one?  Your under two stays for free and by default so has the 4 year old - he/she is probably ticked off.  

As @Kate867 mentioned above hosts really need to know who is going to be in their property for all sorts of reasons including insurance.   We too absorb some of the cleaning fee as I do the laundry myself but it would be much higher if I didn’t.  You mention that the addition of an extra 4 year old is ‘insignificant’ - in terms of cleaning up after them it’s really not.  3 and 4 year olds are crumb generating sticky hands on  wee legs.

Did the child use a bed or did you bring one along?